Equity Returns and Integration: Is Europe Changing?
AbstractThis paper analyses the consequences of the process of financial and economic integration on European equity markets. It documents significant changes in fundamentals, notably an increased synchronisation of macroeconomic activities, and a non-negligible evolution in pricing, with a decrease in the cost of capital and converging equity premia. As to equity returns themselves, in the face of what could turn out to be long run upward trends in the correlations among both country and sector returns and a narrowing of the superiority of country factors, the stakes of searching for diversification opportunities at a higher level of disaggregation appear to be higher than ever.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering in its series FAME Research Paper Series with number rp117.
Date of creation: Oct 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 40 bd. du Pont d'Arve, Case postale 3, CH - 1211 Geneva 4
Phone: 41 22 / 312 09 61
Fax: 41 22 / 312 10 26
Web page: http://www.swissfinanceinstitute.ch
More information through EDIRC
European integration; Equity markets; Diversification;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2005-04-16 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-EEC-2005-04-16 (European Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dusan Isakov & Frédéric Sonney, 2004.
"Are Practitioners Right? On the Relative Importance of Industrial Factors in International Stock Returns,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 140(III), pages 355-379, September.
- Dušan Isakov & Frédéric Sonney, 2003. "Are practitioners right? On the relative importance of industrial factors in international stock returns," FAME Research Paper Series rp72, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Robin Brooks & Marco Del Negro, 2002. "International diversification strategies," Working Paper 2002-23, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Ormerod, Paul & Mounfield, Craig, 2002. "The convergence of European business cycles 1978–2000," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 307(3), pages 494-504.
- Iryna V. Ivaschenko & Gianni De NicolÃ³, 2008. "Financial Integration and Risk-Adjusted Growth Opportunities," IMF Working Papers 08/126, International Monetary Fund.
- Siedschlag, Iulia, 2009.
"Macroeconomic Differentials and Adjustment in the Euro Area,"
RB2009/3/1, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Iulia Siedschlag, 2008. "Macroeconomic Differentials and Adjustment in the Euro Area," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Iulia Siedschlag, 2008. "Macroeconomic Differentials and Adjustment in the Euro Area," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2008/3 edited by Morten Balling.
- Iulia Traistaru-Siedschlag, 2006. "Macroeconomic Differentials and Adjustment in the Euro Area," Papers WP175, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Gianni De Nicolò & Luciana Juvenal, 2012.
"Financial Integration, Globalization, and Real Activity,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3737, CESifo Group Munich.
- De Nicolò, Gianni & Juvenal, Luciana, 2014. "Financial integration, globalization, and real activity," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 10(C), pages 65-75.
- Colm Kearney & Valerio Poti, 2005.
"Correlation Dynamics in European Equity Markets,"
- Gianni De NicolÃ³ & Alexander F. Tieman, 2006. "Economic Integration and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 06/296, International Monetary Fund.
- Agustín S. Bénétrix and Sébastien Wälti, 2008. "Indicators of regional financial integration," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp243, IIIS.
- Robert-Paul Berben & W. Jos Jansen, 2005. "Bond Market and Stock Market Integration in Europe," DNB Working Papers 060, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Christiansen, Charlotte & Ranaldo, Angelo, 2009.
"Extreme coexceedances in new EU member states' stock markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1048-1057, June.
- Charlotte Christiansen & Angelo Ranaldo, 2008. "Extreme Coexceedances in New EU Member States' Stock Markets," Working Papers 2008-10, Swiss National Bank.
- Charlotte Christiansen & Angelo Ranaldo, 2007. "Extreme Coexceedances in New EU Member States’ Stock Markets," CREATES Research Papers 2007-34, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Gianni De Nicolò & Luciana Juvenal, 2010. "Financial integration and risk-adjusted growth opportunities: a global perspective," Working Papers 2010-012, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marilyn Barja).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.