Is the euro advantageous? Does it foster European feelings? Europeans on the euro after five years
AbstractThe introduction of the euro as a currency in physical existence in January 2002 was a major step in the European integration process. The purpose of this paper is to explore how a representative selection of 12 000 Europeans across all countries in the euro area view the effects of the euro five years after its introduction. The empirical analysis uses multinomial logistic regressions to explore the responses to two questions from the Flash Eurobarometer survey conducted in September 2006. The first question asked if the adoption of the euro was advantageous overall or not. The second one asked if using the euro had made you personally feel a little more European than before or not.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 313.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Jonung; Conflitti; 978-92-79-08238-2; European integration; euro; EU; public attitudes; opinion polls; multinomial logistic regression.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- E65 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Studies of Particular Policy Episodes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roth, Felix & Jonung, Lars & Nowak-Lehmann D., Felicitas, 2012. "Public Support for the Single European Currency, the Euro, 1990 to 2011. Does the Financial Crisis Matter?," Working Papers 2012:20, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2007.
"The Breakup of the Euro Area,"
NBER Working Papers
13393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roth, Felix & Jonung, Lars & Nowak-Lehmann D.,Felicitas, 2011. "The Enduring Popularity of the Euro throughout the Crisis," CEPS Papers 6512, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Lena Dräger & Jan-Oliver Menz & Ulrich Fritsche, . "Perceived Inflation under Loss Aversion," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 201105, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
- Lena Vogel & Jan-Oliver Menz & Ulrich Fritsche, 2009. "Prospect Theory and Inflation Perceptions - An Empirical Assessment," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 200903, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.