Industrial Relocation Policy and Heterogeneous Plants Sorted by Productivity: Evidence from Japan
AbstractIn an economic geography model with firm heterogeneity, Baldwin and Okubo (2006) show that regional policies for promoting periphery development attract low-productivity firms and adversely affect the productivity gap within a country. This paper empirically examines their theoretical prediction by using plant-level data during active relocation policies in Japan. Our estimation results from plant-level regressions and propensity-score matching that are generally consistent with the theory. Compared to other regions, those targeted by policies, especially by industrial relocation subsidy programs, tend to have low-productivity plants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 10016.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Toshihiro Okubo & Eiichi Tomiura, 2010. "Industrial relocation policy and heterogeneous plants sorted by productivity: Evidence from Japan," Discussion Paper Series DP2010-35, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2010-04-24 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-GEO-2010-04-24 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INT-2010-04-24 (International Trade)
- NEP-URE-2010-04-24 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Toshihiro Okubo, 2011.
"Anti-agglomeration Subsidies with Heterogeneous Firms,"
Discussion Paper Series
DP2011-11, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Toshihiro Okubo, 2012. "Antiagglomeration Subsidies With Heterogeneous Firms," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 285-299, 05.
- Toshihiro Okubo, 2011. "Anti-agglomeration Subsidies with Heterogeneous Firms," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2011-012, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Okamuro, Hiroyuki & Nishimura, Junichi, 2011. "Management of Cluster Policies: Case Studies of Japanese, German, and French Bio-clusters," CEI Working Paper Series 2011-7, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.