Equity and efficiency in private and public education: a nonparametric comparison
AbstractWe present a nonparametric approach for the equity and efficiency evaluation of (private and public) primary schools in Flanders. First, we use a nonparametric (Data Envelopment Analysis) model that is specially tailored to assess educational efficiency at the pupil level. The model accounts for the fact that minimal prior structure typically available for the behavior (objectives and feasibility set) under evaluation, it reckons with outlier behavior in the available data, while it corrects for ‘environmental’ characteristics that are specific to each pupil. Second, we propose first- and second-order stochastic dominance (FSD and SSD) criteria as naturally complementary aggregation criteria for comparing the performance of different school types (private and public schools) in Flanders. While FSD only accounts for (Pareto) efficiency, SSD also takes (Pigou-Dalton) equality into consideration. We find that private schools outperform public schools in terms of SSD.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën in its series Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers with number ces0725.
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision:
financial intermediation; loan rates; price discrimination; variance analysis.;
Other versions of this item:
- Cherchye, Laurens & De Witte, Kristof & Ooghe, Erwin, 2007. "Equity and efficiency in private and public education: a nonparametric comparison," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/175455, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2008-03-25 (Education)
- NEP-EFF-2008-03-25 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-URE-2008-03-25 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph G. Altonji & Todd E. Elder & Christopher R. Taber, 2000.
"Selection on Observed and Unobserved Variables: Assessing the Effectiveness of Catholic Schools,"
NBER Working Papers
7831, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Todd E. Elder & Christopher R. Taber, 2005. "Selection on Observed and Unobserved Variables: Assessing the Effectiveness of Catholic Schools," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(1), pages 151-184, February.
- Silva Portela, Maria Conceicao A. & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2001. "Decomposing school and school-type efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 357-373, July.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Margaret E. Raymond, 2004.
"Does School Accountability Lead to Improved Student Performance?,"
NBER Working Papers
10591, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Margaret E. Raymond, 2005. "Does school accountability lead to improved student performance?," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2), pages 297-327.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Bourguignon, Francois, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201, April.
- Léopold Simar, 2003. "Detecting Outliers in Frontier Models: A Simple Approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 391-424, November.
- Cazals, Catherine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simar, Leopold, 2002.
"Nonparametric frontier estimation: a robust approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Cazals, Catherine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simar, Léopold, 2002. "Nonparametric Frontier Estimation: A Robust Approach," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Varian, Hal R, 1984. "The Nonparametric Approach to Production Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 579-97, May.
- Andrew Worthington, 2001. "An Empirical Survey of Frontier Efficiency Measurement Techniques in Education," Education Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 245-268.
- Cinzia Daraio & Leopold Simar, 2003.
"Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach,"
LEM Papers Series
2003/17, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2005. "Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 93-121, 09.
- Sandstrom, F. Mikael & Bergstrom, Fredrik, 2005. "School vouchers in practice: competition will not hurt you," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2-3), pages 351-380, February.
- Toma, Eugenia Froedge, 1996. "Public Funding and Private Schooling across Countries," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(1), pages 121-48, April.
- Shawna Grosskopf & Kathy J. Hayes & Lori L. Taylor & William L. Weber, 1999. "Anticipating the Consequences of School Reform: A New Use of DEA," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(4), pages 608-620, April.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Todd E. Elder & Christopher R. Taber, 2005. "An Evaluation of Instrumental Variable Strategies for Estimating the Effects of Catholic Schooling," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 40(4), pages 791-821.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011. "Adjusting for cultural effects on countries’ education policy efficiency:an application of conditional full frontiers measures," MPRA Paper 30098, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011. "Applying conditional DEA to measure football clubs’ performance: Evidence from the top 25 European clubs," MPRA Paper 31278, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bucciarelli Edgardo & Odoardi Iacopo & Pagliari Carmen & Tateo Armando, 2011. "American And Italian Perspectives On Public And Private Education Choices," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 167-172, July.
- Zuzana Kučerová, 2012. "Measuring of Efficiency in the Public and Private Sector – Current Research Approaches," Český finanční a účetní časopis, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(2), pages 110-125.
- De Witte, Kristof & Mika, Kortelainen, 2009. "Blaming the exogenous environment? Conditional efficiency estimation with continuous and discrete exogenous variables," MPRA Paper 14034, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manuel Antonio Muñiz Pérez & Javier Suárez Pandiello, 2011. "Educación en valores y competencias sociales: Diferencias (o no) entre institutos públicos y colegios concertados," Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación volume 6, in: Antonio Caparrós Ruiz (ed.), Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación 6, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 12, pages 208-222 Asociación de Economía de la Educación.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karla Vander Weyden).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.