Equity and efficiency in private and public education: a nonparametric comparison
AbstractWe present a nonparametric approach for the equity and efficiency evaluation of (private and public) primary schools in Flanders. First, we use a nonparametric (Data Envelopment Analysis) model that is specially tailored to assess educational efficiency at the pupil level. The model accounts for the fact that minimal prior structure typically available for the behavior (objectives and feasibility set) under evaluation, it reckons with outlier behavior in the available data, while it corrects for ‘environmental’ characteristics that are specific to each pupil. Second, we propose first- and second-order stochastic dominance (FSD and SSD) criteria as naturally complementary aggregation criteria for comparing the performance of different school types (private and public schools) in Flanders. While FSD only accounts for (Pareto) efficiency, SSD also takes (Pigou-Dalton) equality into consideration. We find that private schools outperform public schools in terms of SSD.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën in its series Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers with number ces0725.
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision:
financial intermediation; loan rates; price discrimination; variance analysis.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2008-03-25 (Education)
- NEP-EFF-2008-03-25 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-URE-2008-03-25 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Manuel Antonio Muñiz Pérez & Javier Suárez Pandiello, 2011. "Educación en valores y competencias sociales: Diferencias (o no) entre institutos públicos y colegios concertados," Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación volume 6, in: Antonio Caparrós Ruiz (ed.), Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación 6, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 12, pages 208-222 Asociación de Economía de la Educación.
- Zuzana Kučerová, 2012. "Measuring of Efficiency in the Public and Private Sector – Current Research Approaches," Český finanční a účetní časopis, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(2), pages 110-125.
- Nghiem, Son & Nguyen, Ha & Connelly, Luke, 2014. "The Efficiency of Australian Schools: Evidence from the NAPLAN Data 2009-2011," MPRA Paper 56231, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cordero, José Manuel & Prior, Diego & Simancas Rodríguez, Rosa, 2013. "A comparison of public and private schools in Spain using robust nonparametric frontier methods," MPRA Paper 51375, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George Halkos & Nickolaos Tzeremes, 2013. "National culture and eco-efficiency: an application of conditional partial nonparametric frontiers," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 15(4), pages 423-441, October.
- Bucciarelli Edgardo & Odoardi Iacopo & Pagliari Carmen & Tateo Armando, 2011. "American And Italian Perspectives On Public And Private Education Choices," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 167-172, July.
- Cordero Ferrera, Jose Manuel & Alonso Morán, Edurne & Nuño Solís, Roberto & Orueta, Juan F. & Souto Arce, Regina, 2013. "Efficiency assessment of primary care providers: A conditional nonparametric approach," MPRA Paper 51926, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- M. Portela & A. Camanho & A. Keshvari, 2013. "Assessing the evolution of school performance and value-added: trends over four years," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011. "Adjusting for cultural effects on countries’ education policy efficiency:an application of conditional full frontiers measures," MPRA Paper 30098, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- De Witte, Kristof & Mika, Kortelainen, 2009. "Blaming the exogenous environment? Conditional efficiency estimation with continuous and discrete exogenous variables," MPRA Paper 14034, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011. "Applying conditional DEA to measure football clubs’ performance: Evidence from the top 25 European clubs," MPRA Paper 31278, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karla Vander Weyden).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.