Measuring of Efficiency in the Public and Private Sector – Current Research Approaches
AbstractThe issue of performance efficiency is one of the basic issues in private and also in public sector. When comparing the effectiveness of subjects across these sectors the differences in their characteristics must be taken into account. With regard to these differences should be chosen the appropriate parameters for the measurement and comparison of results. The aim of this paper is to approach the issue of measuring performance efficiency in the public and private sector with reference to the related literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal Český finanční a účetní časopis.
Volume (Year): 2012 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Postal: Český finanční a účetní časopis, Vysoká škola ekonomická v Praze, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D29 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C. Smith & Andrew Street, 2005. "Measuring the efficiency of public services: the limits of analysis," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 168(2), pages 401-417.
- Johnes, Jill, 2006. "Data envelopment analysis and its application to the measurement of efficiency in higher education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 273-288, June.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Pollitt, M.G., 1995.
"Ownership and Efficiency in Nuclear Power Production,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9518, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pollitt, Michael G, 1996. "Ownership and Efficiency in Nuclear Power Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 342-60, April.
- Antreas Athanassopoulos & Estelle Shale, 1997. "Assessing the Comparative Efficiency of Higher Education Institutions in the UK by the Means of Data Envelopment Analysis," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 117-134.
- Roberts, Marc J, 1975. "An Evolutionary and Institutional View of the Behavior of Public and Private Companies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 415-27, May.
- Othman Joumady & Catherine Ris, 2005. "Performance in European higher education: A non-parametric production frontier approach," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 189-205.
- Susanne Warning, 2004. "Performance Differences in German Higher Education: Empirical Analysis of Strategic Groups," Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor 04-09, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Philip Hemmings, 2006. "Improving Public-spending Efficiency in Czech Regions and Municipalities," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 499, OECD Publishing.
- Xufei Ma & Xiaotao Yao & Youmin Xi, 2006. "Business group affiliation and firm performance in a transition economy: A focus on ownership voids," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 467-483, December.
- Abbott, M. & Doucouliagos, C., 2003. "The efficiency of Australian universities: a data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-97, February.
- J. F. Nolan & P. C. Ritchie & J. R. Rowcroft, 2001. "Measuring efficiency in the public sector using nonparametric frontier estimators: a study of transit agencies in the USA," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(7), pages 913-922.
- Susanne Warning, 2004. "Performance Differences in German Higher Education: Empirical Analysis of Strategic Groups," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 393-408, 06.
- Laurens Cherchye & Kristof De Witte & Erwin Ooghe, 2008. "Equity and efficiency in private and public education: a nonparametric comparison," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0725, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Cherchye, Laurens & De Witte, Kristof & Ooghe, Erwin & Nicaise, Ides, 2010. "Efficiency and equity in private and public education: A nonparametric comparison," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(2), pages 563-573, April.
- Tommaso Agasisti & Geraint Johnes, 2009. "Beyond frontiers: comparing the efficiency of higher education decision-making units across more than one country," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 59-79.
- Melville L. McMillan & Debasish Datta, 1998. "The Relative Efficiencies of Canadian Universities: A DEA Perspective," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(4), pages 485-511, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.