Measuring of Efficiency in the Public and Private Sector – Current Research Approaches
AbstractThe issue of performance efficiency is one of the basic issues in private and also in public sector. When comparing the effectiveness of subjects across these sectors the differences in their characteristics must be taken into account. With regard to these differences should be chosen the appropriate parameters for the measurement and comparison of results. The aim of this paper is to approach the issue of measuring performance efficiency in the public and private sector with reference to the related literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal Český finanční a účetní časopis.
Volume (Year): 2012 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Postal: Český finanční a účetní časopis, Vysoká škola ekonomická v Praze, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D29 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tommaso Agasisti & Geraint Johnes, 2009. "Beyond frontiers: comparing the efficiency of higher education decision-making units across more than one country," Education Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 59-79.
- Pollitt, Michael G, 1996.
"Ownership and Efficiency in Nuclear Power Production,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 342-60, April.
- Pollitt, M.G., 1995. "Ownership and Efficiency in Nuclear Power Production," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9518, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Roberts, Marc J, 1975. "An Evolutionary and Institutional View of the Behavior of Public and Private Companies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 415-27, May.
- Abbott, M. & Doucouliagos, C., 2003. "The efficiency of Australian universities: a data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-97, February.
- Melville L. McMillan & Debasish Datta, 1998. "The Relative Efficiencies of Canadian Universities: A DEA Perspective," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(4), pages 485-511, December.
- Cherchye, Laurens & De Witte, Kristof & Ooghe, Erwin & Nicaise, Ides, 2010.
"Efficiency and equity in private and public education: A nonparametric comparison,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 202(2), pages 563-573, April.
- Cherchye, Laurens & De Witte, Kristof & Ooghe, Erwin & Nicaise, Ides, 2010. "Efficiency and equity in private and public education: a nonparametric comparison," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/235280, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Susanne Warning, 2004. "Performance Differences in German Higher Education: Empirical Analysis of Strategic Groups," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 393-408, 06.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Johnes, Jill, 2006. "Data envelopment analysis and its application to the measurement of efficiency in higher education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 273-288, June.
- Susanne Warning, 2004. "Performance Differences in German Higher Education: Empirical Analysis of Strategic Groups," Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor 04-09, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- J. F. Nolan & P. C. Ritchie & J. R. Rowcroft, 2001. "Measuring efficiency in the public sector using nonparametric frontier estimators: a study of transit agencies in the USA," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 33(7), pages 913-922.
- Laurens Cherchye & Kristof De Witte & Erwin Ooghe, 2008.
"Equity and efficiency in private and public education: a nonparametric comparison,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0725, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Cherchye, Laurens & De Witte, Kristof & Ooghe, Erwin, 2007. "Equity and efficiency in private and public education: a nonparametric comparison," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/175455, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Peter C. Smith & Andrew Street, 2005. "Measuring the efficiency of public services: the limits of analysis," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 168(2), pages 401-417.
- Philip Hemmings, 2006. "Improving Public-spending Efficiency in Czech Regions and Municipalities," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 499, OECD Publishing.
- Antreas Athanassopoulos & Estelle Shale, 1997. "Assessing the Comparative Efficiency of Higher Education Institutions in the UK by the Means of Data Envelopment Analysis," Education Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 117-134.
- Xufei Ma & Xiaotao Yao & Youmin Xi, 2006. "Business group affiliation and firm performance in a transition economy: A focus on ownership voids," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 467-483, December.
- Othman Joumady & Catherine Ris, 2005. "Performance in European higher education: A non-parametric production frontier approach," Education Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 189-205.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.