Indicators and targets for social inclusion in the European Union
AbstractIn December 2001, the Laeken European Council adopted a set of commonly agreed and defined indicators for social inclusion. These should play a central role in monitoring the performance of Member States in making progress towards the key EU objectives in this area set by the Nice European Council in 2000, and represent a major step forward in the development of EU social policy. This article reviews the scientific and political basis on which the indicators were selected, and the implications for the future development of policy-making in Europe. It describes the key features of the indicators and some of the ways in which they can be developed. Finally, it investigates some important issues that need to be addressed when setting quantitative targets in the context of the social inclusion process. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) in its series Papers with number WP151.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2003
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Eric Marlier & Brian Nolan, 2004. "Indicators and Targets for Social Inclusion in the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 47-75, 02.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nolan, Brian & Whelan, Christopher T., 1996. "Resources, Deprivation, and Poverty," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287858, September.
- Atkinson, Tony & Cantillon, Bea & Marlier, Eric & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Social Indicators: The EU and Social Inclusion," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199253494, September.
- Elena Pirani, 2013. "Evaluating contemporary social exclusion in Europe: a hierarchical latent class approach," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 923-941, February.
- TAUSCH, Arno, 2008. "On the world market trajectory of 21 major book publishing companies in globalization and European studies in 100+ countries. From “Amsterdam University Press” via “Palgrave” and “Nova Scien," MPRA Paper 9613, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alba Distaso, 2005. "Local sustainable development and well-being/quality of life. An application of the capability approach at regional level," Quaderni DSEMS 25-2005, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- Tausch, Arno, 2008. "The Efficiency of Social Expenditures in the Fight Against Extreme Poverty in Europe [Die Effizienz Der Sozialausgaben Im Kampf Gegen Extreme Armut in Europa]," MPRA Paper 10612, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dillon, Emma J. & Hennessy, Thia C. & Hynes, Stephen & Commins, Verena, 2008. "Assessing the Sustainability of Irish Farming," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6474, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chhachhi, A. & Truong, T-D., 2009. "Gender, poverty and social justice," ISS Working Papers - General Series 18711, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Claudia Biancotti, 2006. "A Dual-Regime Utility Model for Poverty Analysis," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 603, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Zeitlin, Jonathan, 2005. "Social Europe and Experimentalist Governance: Towards a New Constitutional Compromise?," European Governance Papers (EUROGOV) 4, CONNEX and EUROGOV networks.
- Robert Oxoby, 2009. "Understanding Social Inclusion, Social Cohesion and Social Capital," Working Papers 2009-11, Department of Economics, University of Calgary, revised 22 Jan 2009.
- Francesca Giambona & Erasmo Vassallo, 2014. "Composite Indicator of Social Inclusion for European Countries," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 116(1), pages 269-293, March.
- AMENDOLA, Adalgiso & DELL'ANNO, Roberto, 2013. "Social Exclusion and Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation in European Economies," CELPE Discussion Papers 126, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Peter Krause & Daniel Ritz, 2006. "EU-Indikatoren zur sozialen Inklusion in Deutschland," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 75(1), pages 152-173.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.