Giacomo Becattini and the Marshall's method. A Schumpeterian approach
AbstractThe studies of Giacomo Becattini concerning the notion of the "Marshallian industrial district" have led a revolution in the field of economic development around the world. The paper offers an interpretation of the methodology adopted by Becattini. The roots are clearly Marshallian. Becattini proposes a return to the economy as a complex social science that operates in historical time. We adopt a Schumpeterian approach to the method in economic analysis in order to highlight the similarities between the Marshall and Becattini’s approach. Finally the paper uses the distinction between logical time, real time and historical time which enable us to study the “localized” economic process in a Becattinian way.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut d'Estudis Regionals i Metropolitans de Barcelona in its series IERMB Working Paper in economics with number 1003.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Edifici MRA, planta 2, 08193 Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès)
Phone: 34-93 586 8880
Fax: 34-93 581 4433
Web page: http://www.iermb.uab.es/
More information through EDIRC
industrial district; Marshallian industrial district; methodology of economics; Schumpeter's economic analysis; historical time; economic process;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2011-01-23 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2011-01-23 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coase, Ronald H, 1975. "Marshall on Method," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(1), pages 25-31, April.
- Hands, Douglas W., 1985. "Karl Popper and Economic Methodology: A New Look," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 83-99, April.
- McCloskey, Donald N, 1983. "The Rhetoric of Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 481-517, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jaume Clapés).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.