Evaluating the Performance of Means-Tested Benefits in Bulgaria
AbstractLittle is known about the effectiveness of means-tested benefits in Bulgaria. Using individual and household level data, I analyse the performance of two social assistance and two means-tested child benefits. I find that the programmes reach a very small proportion of the households with incomes below a relative poverty line. Furthermore, the transfers are characterized with very high non-take up and inclusion of non-entitled or non-poor recipients. Poverty rates decrease by a small degree among benefit clients and yet, the impact is insufficient to affect overall poverty, or for the benefits to achieve their ultimate goals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research in its series EUROMOD Working Papers with number EM8/12.
Date of creation: 28 Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: published
Contact details of provider:
Postal: RAB Butler Building, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, ESSEX C04 3SQ
Phone: +44 (0)1206 872957
Fax: +44 (0)1206 873151
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/euromod/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-06 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bargain, Olivier & Orsini, Kristian, 2006.
"In-work policies in Europe: Killing two birds with one stone?,"
Labour Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 667-697, December.
- Bargain, Olivier & Orsini, Kristian, 2004. "In-Work Policies in Europe: Killing Two Birds with One Stone?," IZA Discussion Papers, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) 1445, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olivier Bargain & Kristian Orsini, 2004. "In-work policies in Europe: killing two birds with one stone?," DELTA Working Papers, DELTA (Ecole normale supÃ©rieure) 2004-13, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1995. "Modelling the take-up of state support," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 391-415, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.