The Role of Trade Costs in FDI Strategy of Heterogeneous Firms: Evidence from Japanese Firm-level Data
AbstractThis paper attempts to clarify the reasons for the rapid growth of FDI in developing countries, particularly East Asian countries, compared with that of FDI in developed countries. To do this, we will examine the mechanics of HFDI and VFDI, in order to shed light on the role of trade costs. Our empirical analysis by estimating a multinomial logit model of Japanese firmsf FDI choices reveals that the reduction in trade costs between host and home countries attracts even less productive VFDI firms. In contrast, it does not attract HFDI firms. Since developing countries, particularly East Asian countries, have experienced a relatively rapid decrease in trade costs with Japan, our results indicate that the increase in VFDI through trade cost reduction has led to the recent relative surge of FDIs in developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) in its series Working Papers with number DP-2012-04.
Length: 42 pages.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2012-08-23 (International Trade)
- NEP-SEA-2012-08-23 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Maggie Xiaoyang & Moore, Michael, 2009.
"Location decision of heterogeneous multinational firms,"
33482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chen, Maggie Xiaoyang & Moore, Michael O., 2010. "Location decision of heterogeneous multinational firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 188-199, March.
- Maggie Xiaoyang Chen & Michael Owen Moore, 2009. "Location Decisions of Heterogeneous Multinational Firms," Working Papers 2009-17, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2005.
"Estimating Models of Complex FDI: Are There Third-Country Effects?,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
73, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2007. "Estimating models of complex FDI: Are there third-country effects?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 260-281, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.