Wheeling food products around the store… and away: the invention of the shopping cart, 1936-1953
AbstractAnalyzes the invention and early development of the shopping cart (supermarket trolley) in the US using original archival sources.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Sociologie de l'Innovation (CSI), Mines ParisTech in its series CSI Working Papers Series with number 006.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 60 boulevard Saint Michel, 75272 Paris cedex 06
Phone: + 22.214.171.124.92.88
Fax: + 126.96.36.199.56.28
Web page: http://www.csi.mines-paristech.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Business history; innovation; mass consumption; material culture; shopping cart; Sylvan N. Goldman; Orla E. Watson; United States of America;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L81 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Retail and Wholesale Trade; e-Commerce
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property and Intellectual Capital
- N82 - Economic History - - Micro-Business History - - - U.S.; Canada: 1913-
- N72 - Economic History - - Economic History: Transport, International and Domestic Trade, Energy, and Other Services - - - U.S.; Canada: 1913-
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2007-01-14 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-INO-2007-01-14 (Innovation)
- NEP-SOG-2007-01-14 (Sociology of Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Shopping cart in Wikipedia (English)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florence Paterson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.