As the Century Turns: Analytics, Empirics and Politics of Development
AbstractThe paper celebrates John Fei's life and contributions to economics by viewing them in the context of recent theoretical and empirical literature on the economics and politics of growth. It summarizes the lessons from the literature and development experience since the end of the second world war on the roles of the state, markets and other institutions in the development process. It highlights a major lesson, on which there is substantial agreement if not a consensus, on the importance of openness to foreign trade, technologies and capital flows to growth and on the importance of participatory democracy for political sustainability of growth-promoting policies.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Growth Center, Yale University in its series Working Papers with number 783.
Length: 72 pages
Date of creation: Dec 1997
Date of revision:
Economic Development; Economic Growth; Openness and Growth; Foreign Trade and Growth; Technological Diffusion and Spillover; East Asian Economies; Political Economy; Authoritarianism and Development; Democracy and Development;
Other versions of this item:
- Srinivasan. T.N., 1997. "As the Century Turns: Analytics, Empirics and Politics of Development," Papers 783, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Teweldemedhin, M.Y. & van Schalkwyk, Herman D., 2010. "The impact of trade liberalisation on South African agricultural productivity," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 95963, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 2001.
"Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, Volume 15, pages 261-338
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodríguez, Francisco & Rodrik, Dani, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Sceptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2143, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: a Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," Working Papers 9912, Economic Research Forum, revised Apr 1999.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to Cross-National Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Danishevsky).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.