Do Labour Societies Perform Differently to Cooperatives? Evidence from the Spanish Building Industry
AbstractCooperatives and Labour Societies are both Social Economy enterprises, but with noticeable differences, some of which are imposed by legislation in Spain. The aim of this paper is to study whether such differences affect their management capacity and, in particular, efficiency. In order to do so, we apply Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) techniques to a sample of Spanish enterprises in the building industry and calculate indices of program efficiency. Results show that there is little difference between the performance of the two types of enterprises, although Cooperatives appear to have advantages over Labour Societies in regard to the management of working capital and, albeit to a lesser extent, labour.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia in its series Working Papers with number 1109.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Edifici Departamental Oriental, Campus dels Tarongers, Avda. dels Tarongers, S/N (4P15), 46022 - València
Phone: 963 82 83 49
Fax: 963 82 83 54
Web page: http://www.estructuraeconomica.es
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Francisco J. SÁEZ‐FERNÁNDEZ & Andrés J. PICAZO‐TADEO & Carmen M. LLORCA‐RODRÍGUEZ, 2012. "Do Labour Societies Perform Differently To Cooperatives? Evidence From The Spanish Building Industry," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 83(1), pages 61-81, 03.
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-04-23 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2011-04-23 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- José Luis Monzon & Rafael Chaves, 2008. "The European Social Economy: Concept And Dimensions Of The Third Sector," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 79(3-4), pages 549-577, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silviano Esteve).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.