The relationship between REER and trade flows in the context of the equilibrium exchange rate
AbstractThe paper focuses on the time-series analysis of the traditional trade equations. The results from the cointegration, ARDL and Granger causality analyses of trade elasticities cast some doubt on the usefulness of the internal-external balance approach to the equilibrium exchange rate. The long-run impact of the REER on trade flows turned out to be statistically insignificant, being independent of method and specification of the model employed. The latter implies a secondary role for the REER in achieving a sustainable position of external balance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Estonia in its series Bank of Estonia Working Papers with number 2003-9.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 11 Nov 2003
Date of revision: 11 Nov 2003
Publication status: published
Postal: Estonia bld. 13, 15095 Tallinn, ESTONIA
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-07-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2005-07-25 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2005-07-25 (International Finance)
- NEP-INT-2005-07-25 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- Riedel, James, 1988. "The Demand for LDC Exports of Manufactures: Estimates from Hong Kong," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(389), pages 138-48, March.
- Pantula, Sastry G., 1989. "Testing for Unit Roots in Time Series Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(02), pages 256-271, August.
- Rasmus Kattai, 2005. "EMMA - A Quarterly Model of the Estonian Economy," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2005-12, Bank of Estonia, revised 12 Dec 2005.
- Marit Hinnosaar & Hannes Kaadu & Lenno Uusküla, 2005. "Estimating the equilibrium exchange rate of the Estonian kroon," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2005-2, Bank of Estonia, revised 10 Oct 2005.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peeter Luikmel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.