Potential output estimates for Central and East European countries using production function method
AbstractIn the paper potential output of four Central and East European countries is estimated using the Cobb-Douglas production function. Estonian production function uses data of employment, sectoral restructuring, estimated capital stock and foreign direct investments. Capital stock and level of technology are estimated for the Central and East European countries using the same form of production function and parameter estimates of Estonian economy. Potential output is calculated using the long-term unemployment to approximate potential labour input in the production. According to the estimates potential output is higher than actual in all the countries during most of the period, except in the fast economic growth periods (in the Czech Republic in 1995-1996, Estonia in 1997-1998 and Latvia in 1997, respectively).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Estonia in its series Bank of Estonia Working Papers with number 2001-2.
Date of creation: 13 Oct 2001
Date of revision: 13 Oct 2001
Postal: Estonia bld. 13, 15095 Tallinn, ESTONIA
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Masso, Jaan & Staehr, Karsten, 2005.
"Inflation dynamics and nominal adjustment in the Baltic States,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 281-303, June.
- Jaan Masso & Karsten Staehr, 2005. "Inflation Dynamics And Nominal Adjustment In The Baltic States," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 35, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Rasmus Kattai, 2005. "EMMA - A Quarterly Model of the Estonian Economy," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2005-12, Bank of Estonia, revised 12 Dec 2005.
- Dainis Stikuts, 2003. "Measuring Output Gap in Latvia," Working Papers 2003/02, Latvijas Banka.
- Olivier Basdevant, 2003. "On applications of state-space modelling in macroeconomics," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2003/02, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peeter Luikmel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.