N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression: Partially Linear Models with Unit Roots
AbstractWe develop unit root tests using additional stationary covariates as suggested in Hansen (1995). However, we allow for the covariates to enter the model in a nonparametric fashion, so that our model is an extension of the semiparametric model analyzed in Robinson (1988). We retain a linear structure for the autoregressive component and show that the parameter is estimated at rate N even though part of the model is estimated nonparametrically. The limiting distribution of the unit root test statistic is a mixture of the standard normal and the Dickey-Fuller distribution. A Monte Carlo experiment is used to evaluate the performance of the tests under various linear and nonlinear specifications for the covariates. We find that the tests are powerful when there is a nonlinear effect and experience a minimal power loss when the covariates have a linear effect or no effect at all.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers with number 1532.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boswijk, H. Peter & Lucas, André, 1997.
"Semi-nonparametric cointegration testing,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0041, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Shin, Dong Wan & So, Beong Soo, 1999. "Unit Root Tests Based On Adaptive Maximum Likelihood Estimation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(01), pages 1-23, February.
- Xiao, Zhijie & Phillips, Peter C.B., 1999. "Efficient Detrending In Cointegrating Regression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 519-548, August.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1995.
"Rethinking the Univariate Approach to Unit Root Testing: Using Covariates to Increase Power,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 1148-1171, October.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1995. "Rethinking the Univariate Approach to Unit Root Testing: Using Covariates to Increase Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 300., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Phillips, Peter C.B., 1995.
"Robust Nonstationary Regression,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 912-951, October.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:5:p:912-51 is not listed on IDEAS
- M. N. Hasan & R. W. Koenker, 1997. "Robust Rank Tests of the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(1), pages 133-162, January.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1998. "Nonstationary Density Estimation and Kernel Autoregression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1181, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Lucas, André, 1995. "Unit Root Tests Based on M Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 331-346, February.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:2:p:331-46 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.