Approximating the probability distribution of functions of random variables: A new approach
AbstractWe introduce a new approximation method for the distribution of functions of random variables that are real-valued. The approximation involves moment matching and exploits properties of the class of normal inverse Gaussian distributions. In the paper we we examine the how well the different approximation methods can capture the tail behavior of a function of random variables relative each other. This is obtain done by simulate a number functions of random variables and then investigate the tail behavior for each method. Further we also focus on the regions of unimodality and positive definiteness of the different approximation methods. We show that the new method provides equal or better approximations than Gram-Charlier and Edgeworth expansio
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings with number 503.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Approximation of random variables;
Other versions of this item:
- Anders Eriksson & Lars Forsberg & Eric Ghysels, 2004. "Approximating the Probability Distribution of Functions of Random Variables: A New Approach," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-21, CIRANO.
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Javier F. Mencia & Enrique Sentana, 2004.
"Estimation and testing of dynamic models with generalised hyperbolic innovations,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24742, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Enrique Sentana, 2004. "Estimation and Testing of Dynamic Models with Generalised Hyperbolic Innovations," FMG Discussion Papers dp502, Financial Markets Group.
- Mencía, Javier & Sentana, Enrique, 2005. "Estimation and Testing of Dynamic Models with Generalized Hyperbolic Innovations," CEPR Discussion Papers 5177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2004. "Estimation And Testing Of Dynamic Models With Generalised Hyperbolic Innovations," Working Papers wp2004_0411, CEMFI.
- Puzanova, Natalia & Siddiqui, Sikandar & Trede, Mark, 2009. "Approximate value-at-risk calculation for heterogeneous loan portfolios: Possible enhancements of the Basel II methodology," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 374-392, December.
- Lillestøl, Jostein, 2007. "Some new bivariate IG and NIG-distributions for modelling covariate nancial returns," Discussion Papers 2007/1, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.