Equity Trading Systems in Europe - A survey of recent changes
AbstractThis paper provides a survey of recent changes in the market microstructure of the 5 largest European Stock Exchanges. We first provide a brief statistical overview of European equity markets. Then we discuss how the introduction of the Investment Services Directive and the development of institutional trading have prompted European Stock Exchanges to modify their trading systems since 1994. We show that these exchanges have converged to a similar market organization. In this organization, trading takes place in an order-driven market but trading rules can vary according to the type of securities. We also describe the remaining differences between the trading systems, in particular with respect to the consolidation of the order flow and transparency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HEC Paris in its series Les Cahiers de Recherche with number 663.
Length: 54 pages
Date of creation: 01 Feb 1998
Date of revision:
trading systems; trading rules; market microstructure; European equity markets;
Other versions of this item:
- Marianne DEMARCHI & Thierry FOUCAULT, 2000. "Equity Trading Systems in Europe: A Survey of Recent Changes," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 60, pages 73-115.
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Boer-Sorban, K. & de Bruin, A. & Kaymak, U., 2005. "On the Design of Artificial Stock Markets," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-001-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- repec:dar:vpaper:37211 is not listed on IDEAS
- Boer-Sorban, K. & Kaymak, U. & Spiering, J., 2006. "From Discrete-Time Models to Continuous-Time, Asynchronous Models of Financial Markets," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-009-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Bortolotti, Bernardo & de Jong, Frank & Nicodano, Giovanna & Schindele, Ibolya, 2004.
"Privatization and Stock Market Liquidity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4449, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nikolaus Hautsch, 1999.
"Analyzing the Time between Trades with a Gamma Compounded Hazard Model. An Application to LIFFE Bund Future Transactions,"
CoFE Discussion Paper
99-03, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Nikolaus Hautsch, 1999. "Analyzing the Time between Trades with a Gamma Compounded Hazard Model. An Application to LIFFE Bund Future Transactions," Finance 9904002, EconWPA.
- Nielsson, Ulf, 2009. "Stock exchange merger and liquidity: The case of Euronext," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 229-267, May.
- Nimalendran, M. & Petrella, Giovanni, 2003. "Do 'thinly-traded' stocks benefit from specialist intervention?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1823-1854, September.
- Comerton-Forde, Carole & Rydge, James, 2006. "The current state of Asia-Pacific stock exchanges: A critical review of market design," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-32, January.
- Ranaldo, Angelo, 2004. "Order aggressiveness in limit order book markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 53-74, January.
- Dirk Schiereck & Christian Voigt, 2010. "With or without you: market quality of floor trading when screen trading closes early," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 179-197, February.
- Trifan, Emanuela, 2004. "Decision Rules and their Influence on Asset Prices," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 37211, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Walid Abdmoulah, . "Testing the Evolving Efficiency of 11 Arab Stock Markets," API-Working Paper Series 0907, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Venkataraman, Kumar, 2004. "Does an electronic stock exchange need an upstairs market?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 3-36, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Dupouy).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.