India-Sri Lanka Bilateral Free Trade Agreement : Six Years Performance and Beyond
AbstractIndia-Sri Lanka Bilateral Free Trade Agreement signed in1998 was a pioneering attempt in the direction of trade liberalization in South Asian region. This paper examines the performance of the Agreement in the first six years of its coming into being and draws lessons from its success that could be relevant in the context of SAFTA and other such initiatives. Section 1 of the paper gives an overview of the history of Indo-Lanka trade links and the birth of the Indo-SriLanka Bilateral Trade Agreement. It also talks about the conceptualization of the ILBFTA. Section 2 highlights the positive outcomes of the ILBFTA. Section 3 highlights the negative outcomes and problematic areas that have caught the attention of the trade negotiators. Section 4 describes the steps taken and progress made in moving the FTA towards a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA). Section 5 discusses about lessons from six years of success.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Trade Working Papers with number 22104.
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Free Trade Agreement; ILBFTA; Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nagesh Kumar, 2007.
"Investment Provisions in Regional Trading Arrangements in Asia : Relevance, Emerging Trends, and Policy Implications,"
Trade Working Papers
22109, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Nagesh Kumar, 2007. "Investment Provisions in Regional Trading Arrangements in Asia: Relevance, Emerging Trends, and Policy Implications," Working Papers 4607, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Ahmed, Saira & Ahmed, Vaqar & Sohail, Safdar, 2010. "Trade agreements between developing countries: a case study of Pakistan - Sri Lanka free trade agreement," MPRA Paper 29209, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jayatilleke S. Bandara & Wusheng Yu, 2012. "Non-economic gains of Sri Lanka's FTAs with neighbours," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 39(10), pages 750-763, August.
- Biswajit Nag, 2011. "Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement between India and Sri Lanka: Where does it lead?," Working Papers 1004, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.