Are the East Asian Currencies still Misaligned? An Analysis Based on Absolute PPP-Income Relationship using Panel Data
AbstractOver 10 years after the currency crisis, the degree of exchange rate misalignment is still an issue of contention for East Asian countries. This study evaluates the degrees of currency misalignment of Korea, China, Malaysia, Thailand, the Phillipines, and Indonesia by examining absolute purchasing power parity (PPP)-income relationships using panel data. The distinction between local currency misalignments and the US dollar misalignment is stressed. The estimated misalignments in 2007 were 22.4 per cent overvaluation for the Indonesian rupiah, 12.5 per cent overvaluation for the Philippine peso, and 15.6 per cent undervaluation for the Malaysian ringgit.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Macroeconomics Working Papers with number 22882.
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
currency; ppp-income; panel data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E00 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - General
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yin-wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007.
"The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation,"
112007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007. "The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation," NBER Working Papers 12850, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007. "The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1918, CESifo Group Munich.
- Atsushi Iimi, 2006. "Exchange Rate Misalignment: An Application of the Behavioral Equilibrium Exchange Rate (BEER) to Botswana," IMF Working Papers 06/140, International Monetary Fund.
- Motonishi, Taizo, 2002. "Modifications of the Balassa-Samuelson Model: The Effects of Balanced Growth and Capital Accumulation," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 31-49, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.