Foreign Direct Investment and Wage Spillovers in Vietnam: Evidence from Firm Level Data
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of FDI on wages paid by domestic firms in Vietnam. The existing literature has examined the impact of foreign firms on domestic firms' wage levels within an industry. We expand on the literature by examining interindustry linkages as an additional conduit for wage spillovers. There is strong evidence of horizontal wage spillovers from foreign firms to domestic firms in Vietnam, despite different labour market conditions and firms' characteristics. Vertical wage spillovers exist, but depend on the specific characteristics of firms and industries. A further finding is that training activities facilitate wage spillovers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam in its series Working Papers with number 10.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Foreign Investment; Wages; Spillovers; Vietnam;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-04-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2008-04-04 (Development)
- NEP-LAB-2008-04-04 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2008-04-04 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hans Pitlik & Margit Schratzenstaller, 2011. "Growth Implications of Structure and Size of Public Sectors," WIFO Working Papers 404, WIFO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doan Quang Hung).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.