Economic downturn and stress testing European welfare systems
AbstractAs unemployment rises across the European Union (EU) it is important to understand the extent to which the incomes of the new unemployed are protected by tax-benefit systems and to assess the cost pressures on governments. This paper uses the EU tax-benefit model EUROMOD to explore these issues, comparing effects in five countries. It provides evidence on the differing degrees of resilience of the household incomes of the newly unemployed due to the variations in the protection offered by the tax-benefit systems, according to whether unemployment benefit is payable, the household situation of the unemployed person, and across countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by "Carlo F. Dondena" Centre for Research on Social Dynamics (DONDENA), Università Commerciale Luigi Bocconi in its series Working Papers with number 028.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: via Rontgen, 1 - 20136 Milano
Web page: http://www.dondena.unibocconi.it/
Other versions of this item:
- Figari, Francesco & Salvatori, Andrea & Sutherland, Holly, 2010. "Economic downturn and stress testing European welfare systems," EUROMOD Working Papers EM4/10, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data; Data Access
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-08-06 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François Bourguignon & Amedeo Spadaro, 2006.
"Microsimulation as a Tool for Evaluating Redistribution Policies,"
20, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- François Bourguignon & Amedeo Spadaro, 2006. "Microsimulation as a tool for evaluating redistribution policies," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 77-106, April.
- François Bourguignon & Amadéo Spadaro, 2005. "Microsimulation as a tool for evaluating redistribution policies," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590863, HAL.
- Mathias Dolls & Clemens Fuest & Andreas Peichl, 2010.
"Automatic Stabilizers and Economic Crisis: US vs. Europe,"
NBER Working Papers
16275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dolls, Mathias & Fuest, Clemens & Peichl, Andreas, 2012. "Automatic stabilizers and economic crisis: US vs. Europe," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 279-294.
- Mathias Dolls & Clemens Fuest & Andreas Peichl, 2009. "Automatic Stabilizers and Economic Crisis: US vs. Europe," CESifo Working Paper Series 2878, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dolls, Mathias & Fuest, Clemens & Peichl, Andreas, 2010. "Automatic stabilisers and economic crisis: US vs Europe," EUROMOD Working Papers EM2/10, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Dolls, Mathias & Fuest, Clemens & Peichl, Andreas, 2009. "Automatic Stabilizers and Economic Crisis: US vs. Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 4310, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mathias Dolls & Clemens Fuest & Andreas Peichl, 2010. "Automatic Stabilizers and Economic Crisis: US vs. Europe," Cologne Graduate School Working Paper Series 01-02, Cologne Graduate School in Management, Economics and Social Sciences.
- Aaberge, Rolf, et al, 2000.
" Unemployment Shocks and Income Distribution: How Did the Nordic Countries Fare during Their Crises?,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(1), pages 77-99, March.
- Rolf Aaberge & Anders Björklund & Markus Jäntti & Peder J. Pedersen & Nina Smith & Tom Wennemo, 1997. "Unemployment Shocks and Income Distribution How Did the Nordic Countries Fare During their Crises?," Discussion Papers 201, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Micklewright, John, 1991. "Unemployment Compensation and Labor Market Transitions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1679-1727, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rodolfo Baggio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.