The Role of Asset Markets for Private Consumption: Evidence from Paneleconometric Models
AbstractWe explore the long and short run relationship between private consumption, disposable income and housing and financial wealth approximated by price indices for a panel of industrialized countries. Consumption, income and wealth are cointegrated in their common, but not in their idiosyncratic components. This stresses the relevance of inter-national spillovers to explain aggregate consumption behaviour. The cointegrating vector is robust and in line with the life cycle permanent income hypothesis. The in-come elasticity does not differ from unity, and wealth elasticities are within a range of 2 to 5 percent. According to the error correction mechanism, consumption could not be interpreted as a weakly exogenous series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin with number 872.
Length: 28 p.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Permanent income hypothesis; panel cointegration; wealth effects;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-05 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2011. "An Early Warning System to Predict the House Price Bubbles," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1142, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dreger, Christian & Kholodilin, Konstantin A., 2013. "An early warning system to predict speculative house price bubbles," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 7(8), pages 1-26.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2011.
"The effects of financial and real wealth on consumption: new evidence from OECD countries,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
837, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2012. "The effects of financial and real wealth on consumption: new evidence from OECD countries," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(5), pages 409-425, March.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2010. "The Effects of Financial and Real Wealth on Consumption: New Evidence from OECD Countries," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 38, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin Arkadievich Kholodilin, 2013.
"Forecasting Private Consumption by Consumer Surveys,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(1), pages 10-18, 01.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2010. "Forecasting Private Consumption by Consumer Surveys," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1066, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Belke, Ansgar & Dobnik, Frauke & Dreger, Christian, 2011.
"Energy consumption and economic growth: New insights into the cointegration relationship,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 782-789, September.
- Ansgar Belke & Christian Dreger & Frauke de Haan, 2010. "Energy Consumption and Economic Growth: New Insights into the Cointegration Relationship," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1017, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ansgar Belke & Christian Dreger & Frauke de Haan, 2010. "Energy Consumption and Economic Growth – New Insights into the Cointegration Relationship," Ruhr Economic Papers 0190, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Alessio Ciarlone, 2012. "Wealth effects in emerging economies," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 843, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Dreger, Christian & Kholodilin, Konstantin A., 2012. "An early warning system to predict the speculative house price bubbles," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-44, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.