Multilateralism versus Regionalism!?
AbstractThe well-known question whether regional trade agreements (RTAs) and the multilateral trading system (MTS) are "strangers, friends, or foes" (Bhagwati and Panagariya, 1996) has gained new importance with the widespread proliferation of RTAs in recent years. Based on an extensive data set which covers most of world trade over the past 60 years and about 240 regional trade agreements, we analyze the relationship between RTAs and the MTS by combining the gravity model framework with vector auto-regression analysis. Impulse-response-functions robustly suggest that multilateral trade liberalization responds in a significantly positive way to regional trade liberalization. We also find robust evidence that RTA liberalization Granger-causes GATT/WTO liberalization. Thus, our results indicate that RTAs do not undermine the MTS but serve as building blocs to multilateral trade liberalization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade in its series DEGIT Conference Papers with number c015_043.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Regionalism; multilateralism; trade agreement; gravity model;
Other versions of this item:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1985. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade: Some Microeconomic Foundations and Empirical Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 474-81, August.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Dieter Schumacher, 2007.
"Estimating Gravity Equations: To Log or Not to Log?,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
739, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Dieter Schumacher, 2009. "Estimating gravity equations: to log or not to log?," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 645-669, June.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005.
"The log of gravity,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Arvind Subramanian, 2003.
"The WTO Promotes Trade, Strongly but Unevenly,"
IMF Working Papers
03/185, International Monetary Fund.
- Subramanian, Arvind & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2005. "The WTO Promotes Trade, Strongly But Unevenly," CEPR Discussion Papers 5122, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arvind Subramanian & Shang-Jin Wei, 2003. "The WTO Promotes Trade, Strongly But Unevenly," NBER Working Papers 10024, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Pomfret, 2007.
"Is Regionalism an Increasing Feature of the World Economy?,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(6), pages 923-947, 06.
- Richard Pomfret, 2006. "Is Regionalism an Increasing Feature of the World Economy?," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp164, IIIS.
- C. Fred Bergsten, 1997.
Working Paper Series
WP97-3, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Michael Tomz & Judith L. Goldstein & Douglas Rivers, 2007. "Do We Really Know That the WTO Increases Trade? Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(5), pages 2005-2018, December.
- Joakim Westerlund & Fredrik Wilhelmsson, 2009. "Estimating the gravity model without gravity using panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(6), pages 641-649.
- Antoni Estevadeordal & Caroline Freund & Emanuel Ornelas, 2008.
"Does Regionalism Affect Trade Liberalization toward NonMembers?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1531-1575, November.
- Antoni Estevadeordal & Caroline Freund & Emanuel Ornelas, 2008. "Does Regionalism Affect Trade Liberalization Towards Non-Members?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0868, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Antoni Estevadeordal & Caroline Freund & Emanuel Ornelas, 2008. "Does regionalism affect trade liberalization towards non-members?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19584, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Estevadeordal, Antoni & Freund, Caroline & Ornelas, Emanuel, 2008. "Does regionalism affect trade liberalization toward non-members ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4751, The World Bank.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Millimet, Daniel & Henderson, Daniel, 2006.
"Is Gravity Linear?,"
Departmental Working Papers
0517, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- P. Magee, Stephen & Lee, Hak-Loh, 2001. "Endogenous tariff creation and tariff diversion in a customs union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 495-518, March.
- Lim, Jamus Jerome & Decker, Jessica Henson, 2007.
"Democracy and Trade: An Empirical Study,"
6077, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard Pomfret, 2005.
"Regional Trade Agreements,"
School of Economics Working Papers
2005-15, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Lim“o, Nuno, 2002.
"Are Preferential trade Agreements with Non-trade Objectives a Stumbling Block for Multilateral Liberalization?,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002
129, Royal Economic Society.
- Nuno Limão, 2002. "Are Preferential Trade Agreements with Non-trade Objectives a Stumbling Bloc for Multilateral Liberalization?," International Trade 0206001, EconWPA.
- Arvind Panagariya, 2003.
"The Regionalism Debate: An Overview,"
- Nuno Limao, 2006. "Preferential Trade Agreements as Stumbling Blocks for Multilateral Trade Liberalization: Evidence for the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 896-914, June.
- Trejos Alberto, 2005. "Bilateral and Regional Free Trade Agreements, and Their Relationship with the WTO and the Doha Development Agenda," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 5(4), pages 1-11, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michaela Rank).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.