Unemployment Durations of French Young People
AbstractUsing the 1990-1992 wave of the French Labour Force Survey this paper analyzes the effects of different factors on the probability of leaving unemployment of French young people. It also studies duration dependence of the hazard rate while controlling for unobserved heterogeneity separately for men and women. A semi-parametric and two parametric hazard functions have been estimated using grouped duration data. A gamma mixing distribution is used to capture individual unobserved heterogeneity. When the correction for unobserved heterogeneity is not incorporated the model chosen is (for both groups) the Weibull that shows modelled the exponential hazard function (no duration dependence) id retained and again foe both population analysed. This result seems to suggest that observed true negative duration dependence should be explained more trough unobserved heterogeneity than trough structural factors, a conclusion to be thought in terms of the mover-stayer paradigm.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES) in its series Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) with number 1998021.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 1998
Date of revision:
proportional hazard models; grouped duration data; discrete-time data; unobserved heterogeneity;
Other versions of this item:
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-02-10 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Muriel Dejemeppe & Bart Cockx, 2005.
"Duration dependence in the exit rate out of unemployment in Belgium. Is it true or spurious?,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 1-23.
- Cockx, Bart & Dejemeppe, Muriel, 2002. "Duration Dependence in the Exit Rate out of Unemployment in Belgium: Is It True or Spurious?," IZA Discussion Papers 632, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- V. Vandenberghe, 2000. "Leaving Teaching in the French-Speaking Community of Belgium: A Duration Analysis," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 221-239.
- Maritza López-Novella, 2003. "Working Paper 16-03 - Effets de certains subsides temporaires à l’embauche : une analyse micro-économique des plans plus et du plan avantage à l’embauche," Working Papers 0316, Federal Planning Bureau, Belgium.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.