The Hotelling Model with Capacity Precommitment
AbstractWe consider the two-stage game proposed by Kreps and Scheinkman (83) in the address-model of horizontal differentiation developed by Hotelling. Firms choose capacities in the first stage and then compete in prices. We show that price competition is drastically softened since in almost all subgame perfect equilibria firms behave as if they were an integrated monopolist i.e., they choose capacities which exactly cover the market, so that there is no room for price competition. If furthermore the installation cost for capacity is one fourth of the transportation or more, this result stands for all SPE. Like Kreps and Scheinkman, we show that the Cournot allocations coincide with the SPE allocations of our game form. Finally, our analysis provides an interesting treatment of mixed strategy equilibria which is quite new in the literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES) in its series Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) with number 1997030.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 1996
Date of revision: 00 Nov 1997
Hotelling; capacity; price competition;
Other versions of this item:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-02-10 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul, BELLEFLAMME & Pierre, PICARD, 2005.
"Piracy and competition,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques)
2005057, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & PICARD, Pierre M., . "Piracy and competition," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1919, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Paul Belleflamme & Pierre M. Picard, 2004. "Piracy and Competition," CESifo Working Paper Series 1350, CESifo Group Munich.
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & PICARD, Pierre, 2005. "Piracy and competition," CORE Discussion Papers 2005083, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.