Ranking universities : how to take better account of diversity
AbstractIn order to rank universities, rather than aggregating the indicators used by the Times Higher Education Supplement (THES) - using weightings which, though reasonable, are at the same time arbitrary and inflexible - one can compare universities in termes of dominance and hence deduce various partial or complete rankings. The resultant dominance ranking method is presented in this note. Data are recalled in Appendix 1. Appendix provides full details of the dominance analysis for each university. From this analysis two listings are derived : (i) a front runners list consisting of 34 ‘non-dominated’ universities (Table 4) and (ii) a (new) ranking of the 200 universities surveyed by the THES, based on their respective ‘active-passive dominance’ scores (Table 5). Concluding remarks bear on limits of the data and of the exercise.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques in its series Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) with number 2007023.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- TULKENS, Henry, 2007. "Ranking universities: How to take better account of diversity," CORE Discussion Papers 2007042, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2007-08-14 (Education)
- NEP-PKE-2007-08-14 (Post Keynesian Economics)
- NEP-SOG-2007-08-14 (Sociology of Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- BAUWENS, Luc & MION, Giordano & THISSE, Jacques-François, 2007.
"The resistible decline of European science,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2007092, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & MION, Giordano & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "The resistible decline of European Science," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2383, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc BAUWENS & Giordano MION & Jacques-François THISSE, 2011. "The Resistible Decline of European Science," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2011041, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Bauwens, Luc & Mion, Giordano & Thisse, Jacques-François, 2008. "The Resistible Decline of European Science," CEPR Discussion Papers 6625, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.