Bayesian multivariate Bernstein polynomial density estimation
AbstractThis paper introduces a new approach to Bayesian nonparametric inference for densities on the hypercube, based on the use of a multivariate Bernstein polynomial prior. Posterior convergence rates under the proposed prior are obtained. Furthermore, a novel sampling scheme, based on the use of slice sampling techniques, is proposed for estimation of the posterior predictive density. The approach is illustrated with both simulated and real data examples
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría in its series Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers with number ws131211.
Date of creation: Jun 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: C/ Madrid, 126 - 28903 GETAFE (MADRID)
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es/uc3m/dpto/DEE/departamento.html
More information through EDIRC
Bayesian nonparametrics; Bernstein polynomials; Dirichlet process;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-05-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-05-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-FOR-2013-05-24 (Forecasting)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alejandro Jara & Timothy Hanson & Fernando A. Quintana & Peter Müller & Gary L. Rosner, . "DPpackage: Bayesian Semi- and Nonparametric Modeling in R," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 40(i05).
- Sonia Petrone, 1999. "Random Bernstein Polynomials," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 26(3), pages 373-393.
- Sonia Petrone & Larry Wasserman, 2002. "Consistency of Bernstein polynomial posteriors," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(1), pages 79-100.
- Omiros Papaspiliopoulos & Gareth O. Roberts, 2008. "Retrospective Markov chain Monte Carlo methods for Dirichlet process hierarchical models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(1), pages 169-186.
- Olkin, Ingram & Liu, Ruixue, 2003. "A bivariate beta distribution," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(4), pages 407-412, May.
- Axel Tenbusch, 1994. "Two-dimensional Bernstein polynomial density estimators," Metrika, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 233-253, December.
- Lorenzo Trippa & Paolo Bulla & Sonia Petrone, 2011. "Extended Bernstein prior via reinforced urn processes," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 63(3), pages 481-496, June.
- Sancetta, Alessio & Satchell, Stephen, 2004. "The Bernstein Copula And Its Applications To Modeling And Approximations Of Multivariate Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 535-562, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.