Riforme del Servizio Sanitario Nazionale e dinamica dell’efficienza ospedaliera in Piemonte
AbstractIn this paper we estimate cost efficiency and technological characteristics of public hospitals in Piemonte over the period from 2000 to 2004. During the Nineties, different regulatory reforms aiming at controlling health expenditure affected the Italian National Health Service, ranging from the introduction of a new reimbursement scheme for hospitals (DRG-based) at the micro level, to the implementation of fiscal federalism at the macro level. We argue that all these legislative interventions rendered producers more prone to control costs, in order to be able to meet financial constraints. Our empirical findings support this hypothesis: average cost inefficiency, computed after estimating a Translog stochastic cost frontier by the Battese and Coelli (1992) approach, reduced remarkably during the observed years, while the adoption of more effective technologies shifted upward the minimum-cost frontier. We also find evidence of relevant scale economies not exploited by producers, which decrease with ospital size (number of beds) and output complexity (average DRG weight).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO) in its series CERIS Working Paper with number 200515.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2005
Date of revision:
riforme del SSN; ospedali pubblici; efficienza produttiva; frontiera di costo stocastica;
Other versions of this item:
- Canta Chiara & Piacenza Massimiliano & Turati Gilberto, 2006. "Riforme del servizio sanitario nazionale e dinamica dell'efficienza ospedaliera in Piemonte," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 157-192.
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- L32 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Public Enterprises; Public-Private Enterprises
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alessandro Sembenelli & Laura Rondi & Fabio Schiantarelli & Brian Sack, 1993. "Firms' Financial And Real Responses To Business Cycle Shocks And Monetary Tightening: Evidence For Large And Small Italian Companies," CERIS Working Paper 199305, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Simona Sanguineti & Alessio Tei, 2012. "L’efficienza delle aziende di Trasporto Pubblico Locale: confronto tra le maggiori realtà italiane," ECONOMIA E DIRITTO DEL TERZIARIO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2012(3), pages 359-377.
- Piacenza, Massimiliano & Turati, Gilberto & Vannoni, Davide, 2010. "Restructuring hospital industry to control public health care expenditure: The role of input substitutability," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 881-890, July.
- Elisabetta Mafrolla & Eugenio D’Amico, 2013. "Patients’ mobility as an indicator for (in)efficiency:a panel data analysis on Italian health care authorities," Health Economics Review, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 1-13, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enrico Viarisio) or (Anna Perin) or (Giancarlo Birello).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.