The Intensity Evaluation of Technological Change:the Mercalli scale for innovations
AbstractThe purpose of this paper, after accurate description of the taxonomies of the innovation available in economic literature, is to evaluate technological change on the basis of the effects provoked by the innovative waves on consumers, firms and markets. Similarly to the Mercalli-Cancani- Sieberg scale, used in seismology to empirically evaluate earthquakes, this paper introduces a scale of innovative intensity (SIIN) characterised by 7 increasing degrees that describe the main effects caused by innovation on the geoeconomic environment. A conclusive discussion will show that the geographical approach proposed is complementary to the historical approach used in economic theory and assists comprehension of the complex phenomenon of economic-technological change.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO) in its series CERIS Working Paper with number 200201.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2002
Date of revision:
Technological Change; Evaluation; Innovation Intensity; Spatial Impact; Scale; Qualitative Measure; Innovation Waves; Innovation Patterns;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D00 - Microeconomics - - General - - - General
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alessandro Sembenelli & Laura Rondi & Fabio Schiantarelli & Brian Sack, 1993. "Firms' Financial And Real Responses To Business Cycle Shocks And Monetary Tightening: Evidence For Large And Small Italian Companies," CERIS Working Paper 199305, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enrico Viarisio) or (Anna Perin) or (Giancarlo Birello).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.