Capital Markets Imperfections And Markups Cyclicality: An Empirical Analysis On Firm Level Data In Italy
AbstractIn this paper the cyclical behaviour of markups in presence of imperfect capital markets has been analysed from an empirical point of view. A markup equation has been estimated including among regressors a leverage variable. This approach is based on the hypothesis that more leveraged firms have a lower level of internal net worth and are more likely to be affected by problems induced by capital market imperfections. The empirical analysis has been conducted on a panel of 1168 Italian manufacturing firms observed over the period 1977-1993. Overall results suggest the existence of financial constraints which induce firms to reduce markups; since this incentive is higher during recessions, it seems that capital market imperfections have a procyclical impact on markups.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO) in its series CERIS Working Paper with number 199720.
Length: 24 pages Keywords : Markup, Financing Constraints, Business Cycle.
Date of creation: Dec 1997
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice, Investment, Capacity, and Financing
- E30 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alessandro Sembenelli & Laura Rondi & Fabio Schiantarelli & Brian Sack, 1993. "Firms' Financial And Real Responses To Business Cycle Shocks And Monetary Tightening: Evidence For Large And Small Italian Companies," CERIS Working Paper 199305, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enrico Viarisio) or (Anna Perin) or (Giancarlo Birello).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.