Robust Portfolio Allocation with Systematic Risk Contribution Restrictions
AbstractThe standard mean-variance approach can imply extreme weights in some assets in the optimal allocation and a lack of stability of this allocation over time. To improve the robustness of the portfolio allocation, but also to better control for the portfolio turnover and the sensitivity of the portfolio to systematic risk, it is proposed in this paper to introduce additional constraints on both the total systematic risk contribution of the portfolio and its turnover. Our paper extends the existing literature on risk parity in three directions: i) we consider other risk criteria than the variance, such as the Value-at-Risk (VaR), or the Expected Shortfall; ii) we manage separately the systematic and idiosyncratic components of the portfolio risk; iii) we introduce a set of portfolio management approaches which control for the degree of market neutrality of the portfolio, for the strength of the constraint on systematic risk contribution and for the turnover
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique in its series Working Papers with number 2012-35.
Date of creation: Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Asset Allocation; Portfolio Turnover; Risk Diversification; Minimum Variance Portfolio; Risk Parity Portfolio; Systematic Risk; Euler Allocation; Hedge Fund;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2013-06-04 (Banking)
- NEP-RMG-2013-06-04 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Gagliardini & Christian Gouriéroux, 2011.
"Approximate Derivative Pricing for Large Classes of Homogeneous Assets with Systematic Risk,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(2), pages 237-280, Spring.
- Patrick GAGLIARDINI & Christian GOURIEROUX, 2010. "Approximate Derivative Pricing for Large Classes of Homogeneous Assets with Systematic Risk," Working Papers 2010-07, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Garlappi, Lorenzo & Uppal, Raman & Wang, Tan, 2005.
"Portfolio Selection with Parameter and Model Uncertainty: A Multi-Prior Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5148, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lorenzo Garlappi & Raman Uppal & Tan Wang, 2007. "Portfolio Selection with Parameter and Model Uncertainty: A Multi-Prior Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(1), pages 41-81, January.
- Raman Uppal & Lorenzo Garlappi & Tan Wang, 2004. "Portfolio Selection with Parameter and Model Uncertainty: A Multi-Prior Approach," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 54, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Garlappi, Lorenzo & Uppal, Raman & Wang, Tan, 2005. "Portfolio Selection with Parameter and Model Uncertainty: A Multi-Prior Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 5041, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bruder, Benjamin & Roncalli, Thierry, 2012. "Managing risk exposures using the risk budgeting approach," MPRA Paper 37246, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Winfried G. Hallerbach, 1999. "Decomposing Portfolio Value-at-Risk: A General Analysis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-034/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Carlo Acerbi & Dirk Tasche, 2001.
"On the coherence of Expected Shortfall,"
cond-mat/0104295, arXiv.org, revised May 2002.
- Michael B. Gordy & James Marrone, 2010.
"Granularity adjustment for mark-to-market credit risk models,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2010-37, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gordy, Michael B. & Marrone, James, 2012. "Granularity adjustment for mark-to-market credit risk models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1896-1910.
- Hiroshi Konno & Hiroaki Yamazaki, 1991. "Mean-Absolute Deviation Portfolio Optimization Model and Its Applications to Tokyo Stock Market," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(5), pages 519-531, May.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Tongshu Ma, 2002.
"Risk Reduction in Large Portfolios: Why Imposing the Wrong Constraints Helps,"
NBER Working Papers
8922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Tongshu Ma, 2003. "Risk Reduction in Large Portfolios: Why Imposing the Wrong Constraints Helps," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(4), pages 1651-1684, 08.
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J, 1977. "Risk Reduction and Portfolio Size: An Analytical Solution," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(4), pages 415-37, October.
- Joshua Brodie & Ingrid Daubechies & Christine De Mol & Domenico Giannone & Ignace Loris, 2007.
"Sparse and stable Markowitz portfolios,"
0708.0046, arXiv.org, revised May 2008.
- Brodie, Joshua & Daubechies, Ingrid & De Mol, Christine & Giannone, Domenico & Loris, Ignace, 2008. "Sparse and stable Markowitz portfolios," Working Paper Series 0936, European Central Bank.
- Brodie, Joshua & Daubechies, Ingrid & De Mol, Christine & Giannone, Domenico, 2007. "Sparse and Stable Markowitz Portfolios," CEPR Discussion Papers 6474, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acerbi, Carlo, 2002. "Spectral measures of risk: A coherent representation of subjective risk aversion," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1505-1518, July.
- Scherer, Bernd, 2011. "A note on the returns from minimum variance investing," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 652-660, September.
- Kan, Raymond & Zhou, Guofu, 2007. "Optimal Portfolio Choice with Parameter Uncertainty," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(03), pages 621-656, September.
- Fan, Jianqing & Fan, Yingying & Lv, Jinchi, 2008. "High dimensional covariance matrix estimation using a factor model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 186-197, November.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.