Disentangling Market Access Effects for ASEAN Members Under an ASEAN-EU FTA
AbstractThe paper develops two synthetic measures at the HS-10 level to depict effective market access for a country receiving preferential access and applies these to the market access ASEAN members would receive on impact following the implementation of an FTA with the EU. These measures reveal quite a different picture than one that would be gleaned from the more usual ex-ante aggregate approaches. First, the measures show that current effective market access for ASEAN EBA members is cut in half by the preferences granted by the EU to countries that compete with these countries in the EU markets. Second, the small value of preferences is reflected in the pattern of preferential margins, the “significant” preferential margins almost always being for products that account for less than 1/10 of 1 percent of exports at the HS-10 level. Third the measures show that about one quarter of the preferential margin under the proposed FTA for EBA members would be lost as a result of preferential access granted to ASEAN GSP members. Fifth, disaggregated calculations on the restrictiveness of rules of origin not only confirm that rules are more restrictive for products with higher preferential margins, but also that, for a given preferential margin in the EU market, due to the product composition of their exports to the EU, ASEAN countries usually face tougher rules of origin in the EU.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 6762.
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Céline Carrère & Jaime de Melo & Bolormaa Tumurchudur, 2008. "Disentangling Market Access Effects for ASEAN Members under an ASEAN-EU FTA," Development Working Papers 259, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Céline Carrere & Jaime Melo De, 2011.
"The Doha Round and Market Access for LDCs: Scenarios for the EU and US Markets,"
- Jaime MELO DE & Céline CARRERE, 2009. "The Doha Round and Market Access for LDCs: Scenarios for the EU and US Markets," Working Papers 200911, CERDI.
- Carrère, Céline & de Melo, Jaime, 2009. "The Doha Round and Market Access for LDCs: Scenarios for the EU and US Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 7313, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.