Austria's Hard-Currency Policy: The Mechanics of Successful Exchange-Rate Peg
AbstractOne test of an exchange-rate peg is to ask whether the implicit inflation target of the pegging country is the same as that of the anchor country. If the inflation targets of the two countries are different, the peg's long-run credibility should be rejected. We examine the Austrian experience with a 'hard currency' policy aimed at targeting its exchange rate with the German mark. We find that when our feedback rule called for an increase in Austrian interest rates, the actual increases tended to exceed the implied increases, bolstering market confidence in the responsiveness of Austria's monetary policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 2478.
Date of creation: Jun 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Dueker & Andreas Fischer, 2001.
"The Mechanics of a successful Exchange-Rate Peg: Lessons from Emerging Markets,"
01.02, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Michael Dueker & Andreas M. Fischer, 2001. "The mechanics of a successful exchange rate peg: lessons for emerging markets," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 47-56.
- Dueker, Michael & Fischer, Andreas M, 2001. "The Mechanics of a Successful Exchange-Rate Peg: Lessons for emerging Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 2829, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.