How to Fix Conversion Rates at the Start of EMU
AbstractThis paper analyses several procedures for fixing conversion rates at the start of EMU. One consists of announcing a fixed conversion rate; a second (proposed by Lalmfalussy) would announce that the conversion rate will be an average of past market exchange rates; and a third involves announcing that the market exchange rate observed just prior to entry will be the conversion rate. The paper evaluates these different procedures and concludes that the Lamfalussy rule is unattractive compared to the two other alternatives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1530.
Date of creation: Nov 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bernd Wilfling, 2003.
"Interest Rate Volatility Prior to Monetary Union under Alternative Pre-Switch Regimes,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 4, pages 433-457, November.
- Wilfling, Bernd, 2001. "Interest rate volatility prior to monetary union under alternative pre-switch regimes," HWWA Discussion Papers 143, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Mark Trede & Bernd Wilfling, 2007.
"Estimating exchange rate dynamics with diffusion processes: an application to Greek EMU data,"
Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 23-39, July.
- Wilfling, Bernd & Trede, Mark, 2004. "Estimating Exchange Rate Dynamics with Diffusion Processes : An Application to Greek EMU Data," HWWA Discussion Papers 267, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1997.
"A Strategy for Launching the Euro,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1732, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- A. Frachot, 1997. "How To Stabilize Financial Markets Before EMU ?," International Finance 9707004, EconWPA.
- Uctum, Merih & Deusy-Fournier, Pierre, 1998. "Le dollar et l’euro : la primauté monétaire de l’Europe a-t-elle une place?," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 74(4), pages 669-694, dÃ©cembre.
- Wilfling, Bernd, 2009. "Volatility regime-switching in European exchange rates prior to monetary unification," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 240-270, March.
- Katsimi, Margarita, 2008. "Exchange rate strategies towards the euro-zone for new EU member states with currency boards," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1043-1063, September.
- Bronka Rzepkowski, 1997. "Impact de l'annonce de la modalité de fixation des taux de conversion des monnaies européennes," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 128(2), pages 145-159.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.