The Economics of Enterprise Restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe
AbstractThis paper begins from the twin observation that on the one hand, privatization which leaves control in the hands of the insiders has produced little restructuring while on the other, state-owned enterprises have engaged in some restructuring even in the absence of a clear prospect of privatization. It situates enterprise restructuring at the heart of the process of transition of the state-owned enterprise sector. A set of theoretical tools is assembled which permits the analysis of the speed and depth of restructuring, and clarifies the roles of managers, employees, the state, and banks in bringing it about. A mapping is provided between the theoretical predications and a large body of anecdotal evidence on enterprise behaviour in the Central and East European economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1058.
Date of creation: Nov 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P50 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Evžen Kocenda & Jan Hanousek, 2011.
"Divide and Privatize: Firm Break-up and Performance,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3465, CESifo Group Munich.
- Evžen Kočenda & Jan Hanousek, 2010. "Divide and Privatize : Firms Break-up and Performance," Working Papers 291, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- J Earle & S Estrin & L Leshchenko, 1996. "Ownership Structures," CEP Discussion Papers dp0315, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Uhlig, H., 1995. "Transition and Financial Collapse," Discussion Paper 1995-66, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Janez Prasnikar & Jan Svejnar, 1998.
"Investment Wages and Ownership During the Transition to a Market Economy: Evidence from Slovenian Firms,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
144, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Prasnikar, Janez & Svejnar, Jan, 2003. "Investment, Wages and Ownership During the Transition to a Market Economy: Evidence from Slovenian Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 4144, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Sacco, Pier & Scarpa, Carlo, 2000. "Critical mass effect and restructuring in the transition towards a market economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 587-608, March.
- Randolph Luca Bruno, 2003. "Speed of Transition, Unemployment Dynamics and Nonemployment Policies: Evidence from the Visegrad Countries," LEM Papers Series 2003/23, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Wendy Carlin & Peter Richthofen, 1995.
"Finance, economic development and the transition: the East German case,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 3(2), pages 169-195, 06.
- Carlin, Wendy & Richthofen, Peter, 1995. "Finance, economic development and the transition: the East German case," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Economic Change and Employment FS I 95-301, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Ray Barrell & Dirk Willem te Velde, 2000. "Catching-up of East German Labour Productivity in the 1990s," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 1(3), pages 271-297, 08.
- Hau, Harald, 1998. "Privatization under political interference: Evidence from Eastern Germany," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1177-1201, July.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Isard, Peter, 1996. "Production bottlenecks and congestion externalities during the transition to a market economy," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 225-241.
- Laszlo Halpern & Gabor Korosi, 2000.
"Efficiency and Market Share in Hungarian Corporate Sector,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
333, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Gabor Korosi & Laszlo Halpern, 2000. "Efficiency and Market Share in Hungarian Corporate Sector," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0009, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- A. Marcincin & S. van Wijnbergen, 1997. "The Impact of Czech Privatisation Methods on Enterprise Performance Incorporating Initial Selection Bias Correction," CERT Discussion Papers 9704, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- John Marangos, 2002. "A post Keynesian critique of privatization policies in transition economies," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 573-589.
- Gerling, Katja & Schmidt,Klaus-Dieter, 1997. "On the competitive position of Eastern German manufacturing: Why is catching-up so slow?," Kiel Working Papers 825, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.