The Impact of Exchange Rate Fluctuations on European Union Trade
AbstractThe impact of exchange rate fluctuations on international trade has long been a major concern for policy-makers. This is particularly the case in Europe, where countries trade extensively with each other. The crisis that began in the Summer of 1992 generated increased exchange rate fluctuations and, therefore, renewed concerns about consequences for trade inside the European Union. This report assesses the likely impact of the exchange rate crisis on trade flows inside and outside the Union. The analysis indicates the need to distinguish between short-term oscillations (i.e. volatility) and medium-term fluctuations (i.e. misalignment). We find that the recent ERM crisis is likely to have had some negative impact on trade within the region, but this impact is probably quite small.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1041.
Date of creation: Nov 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul Grauwe & Frauke Skudelny, 2000. "The impact of EMU on trade flows," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 381-402, 09.
- Hallett, Andrew Hughes & Anthony, Myrvin L., 1997. "Exchange rate behaviour under the EMS regime: was there any systematic change?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 537-560, August.
- Gil-Pareja, Salvador & Llorca-Vivero, Rafael & Martínez-Serrano, José Antonio, 2008. "Trade effects of monetary agreements: Evidence for OECD countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 733-755, May.
- Whyman, Philip, 2002. "Living with the Euro: the consequences for world business," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 208-215, October.
- Honohan, Patrick & Lane, Philip R, 1999.
"Pegging to the Dollar and the Euro,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 379-410, November.
- Aliyu, Shehu Usman Rano, 2008.
"Exchange Rate Volatility and Export Trade in Nigeria: An Empirical Investigation,"
13490, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 Feb 2009.
- Shehu Usman Rano Aliyu, 2010. "Exchange rate volatility and export trade in Nigeria: an empirical investigation," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(13), pages 1071-1084.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Amina Lahrèche-Revil, 2003. "Trade Linkages and Exchange Rates in Asia: The Role of China," Working Papers 2003-21, CEPII research center.
- Olimov, Ulugbek & Sirajiddinov, Nishanbay, 2008.
"The Effects of the Real Exchange Rate Volatility and Misalignments on Foreign Trade Flows in Uzbekistan,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2008-29, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Olimov, Ulugbek & Sirajiddinov, Nishanbay, 2008. "The Effects of the Real Exchange Rate Volatility and Misalignments on Foreign Trade Flows in Uzbekistan," MPRA Paper 9749, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Amina Lahrèche-Révil & Juliette Milgram, 2006. "Exchange-rate policies and trade in the MENA countries," ThE Papers 06/07, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Khalid Sekkat, 2001. "On the Aggregate Impact of Exchange Rate Variability on EU Trade," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(1), pages 57-78, 02.
- Anderton, Robert & Skudelny, Frauke, 2001. "Exchange rate volatility and euro area imports," Working Paper Series 0064, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.