Altruism, voluntary contributions and neutrality. The case of environmental quality
AbstractThis paper develops an intertemporal model wherein production generates pollution, which is viewed by consumers as a public bad. There are two types of consumer: those who are altruistic and leave bequests to their children, and those who are pure life-cyclers. Both types voluntarily contribute to the quality of environment through environmental groups. It appears that, if bequests by altruists and voluntary contributions by all are positive, redistribution is neutral--which does not mean that pollution abatement and capital accumulation are optimal. To achieve optimality, one needs a tax on inheritance and a differential subsidy on all consumer contributions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 1996067.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Jouvet, Pierre-Andre & Michel, Philippe & Pestieau, Pierre, 2000. "Altruism, Voluntary Contributions and Neutrality: The Case of Environmental Quality," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(268), pages 465-75, November.
- Jouvet, P-A. & Michel, P. & Pestieau, P., 1996. "Altruism, Voluntary Contributions and Neutrality. The Case of Environmental Quality," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a32, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- JOUVET, Pierre-André & MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Altruism, voluntary contributions and neutrality: the case of environmental quality," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1484, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- D64 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Altruism; Philanthropy
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- Q28 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Government Policy
- D9 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eric Bettinger & Robert Slonim, 2006.
"Using experimental economics to measure the effects of a natural educational experiment on altruism,"
Artefactual Field Experiments
00008, The Field Experiments Website.
- Bettinger, Eric & Slonim, Robert, 2006. "Using experimental economics to measure the effects of a natural educational experiment on altruism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(8-9), pages 1625-1648, September.
- Eric Bettinger & Robert Slonim, 2005. "Using Experimental Economics to Measure the Effects of a Natural Educational Experiment on Altruism," NBER Working Papers 11725, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tetsuo Ono, 2009. "The political economy of environmental and social security policies: the role of environmental lobbying," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 261-296, July.
- Johanna Etner & Meglena Jeleva & Pierre-André Jouvet, 2004.
"Risk Perceptions, Voluntary Contributions and Environmental Policy,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
v04097, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Etner, Johanna & Jeleva, Meglena & Jouvet, Pierre-Andre, 2007. "Risk perceptions, voluntary contributions and environmental policy," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 130-139, September.
- Tetsuo Ono, 2007. "Environmental Tax Reform, Economic Growth, and Unemployment in an OLG Economy," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 63(1), pages 133-161, March.
- Emeline Bezin, 2013. "The dynamics of environmental concern and the evolution of pollution," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 201309, INRA UMR SMART.
- Mouez Fodha, 2009. "Protection mixte de l'environnement et externalités intergénérationnelles," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 60(3), pages 843-852.
- Jouvet, P.-A., 1995.
"Voluntary Contributions with Uncertainty: the Environmental Quality,"
97a30, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Pierre-Andr� Jouvet, 1998. "Voluntary Contributions with Uncertainty: The Environmental Quality," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(2), pages 151-165, December.
- JOUVET, Pierre-André, 1998. "Voluntary contributions with uncertainty: the environmental quality," CORE Discussion Papers 1998020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.