A Harris-style miniature version of ORANI
AbstractA small version of ORANI is constructed, incorporating economies of scale and imperfect competition. Economic mechanisms are borrowed from a model constructed by Richard Harris, and described in his 1984 book "Trade, Industrial Policy and Canadian Manufacturing". The miniature Harris-like model is used to determine whether Harris' conclusions might carry over to Australia, and to see which of his several assumptions are responsible for his more striking results. We find that import-parity pricing is responsible for most of the 'action', while Lerner pricing (based on perceived demand elasticities) yields results similar to the conventional CRTS model. Please note: The PDF download of this fairly old paper is an optical scan of indifferent, but legible, quality
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre in its series Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers with number op-54.
Date of creation: Jun 1985
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th Floor, Menzies Building, Wellington Road, Clayton, Victoria, 3168
Phone: 03 9905 2398
Fax: 03 9905 2426
Web page: http://www.monash.edu.au/policy/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Economies of scale; imperfect competition; applied general equilibrium models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- J. David Richardson, 1990. "Empirical Research on Trade Liberalization With Imperfect Competition: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 2883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaludura Abayasiri-Silva & Mark Horridge, 1996. "Economies of Scale and Imperfect Competition in an Applied General Equilibrium Model of the Australian Economy," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-84, Monash University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Horridge).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.