Evidence of induced innovation in US sectoral Capital´s shares
AbstractWe use annual data on capital´s share and relative factor prices from 35 US industriesfrom 1960 to 2005 to test the induced innovation hypothesis. We derive, from a productionfunction framework, testable implications for the effect of contemporaneous and lagged factorprice ratios on capital´s share of production. The predicted effect is positive or negativedepending on the elasticity of substitution between labor and capital. From panel regressions, theestimated effect of the contemporaneous factor price ratio implies an elasticity of substitutionthat is less than unity, consistent with the consensus from the literature. Based on this, ournegative estimated effects for lagged price ratios are both statistically significant and consistentwith the induced innovation hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO in its series DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO with number 006740.
Date of creation: 06 Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
induced innovation; biased technical change; capital´s share; labor´s share; elasticityof substitution;
Other versions of this item:
- Andrew T. Young & Hernando Zuleta & Andres Garcia-Suaza, 2010. "Evidence of Induced Innovation in US Sectoral Capital’s Shares," Working Papers 10-03, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- E25 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Aggregate Factor Income Distribution
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-03-20 (Business Economics)
- NEP-INO-2010-03-20 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hernando Zuleta, 2007.
"An empirical note on factor shares,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO
004363, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Hernando Zuleta, 2008. "An empirical note on factor shares," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 379-390.
- David Popp, 2002. "Induced Innovation and Energy Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 160-180, March.
- Robert Chirinko & Steven M. Fazzari & Andrew P. Meyer, 2002.
"That Elusive Elasticity: A Long-panel Approach to Estimating the Price Sensitivity of Business Capital,"
0202, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Robert S. Chirinko & Steven M. Fazzari & Andrew P. Meyer, 2002. "That Elusive Elasticity: A Long-Panel Approach To Estimating The Price Sensitivity Of Business Capital," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 B3-1, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2002.
"Directed Technical Change,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(4), pages 781-809.
- Bental, Benjamin & Demougin, Dominique, 2008.
"Do factor shares reflect technology?,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1329-1334, September.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Eduardo M. R. A. Engel & John C. Haltiwanger, 1995. "Plant-Level Adjustment and Aggregate Investment Dynamics," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(2), pages 1-54.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Sutherland, Alan, 2011. "Evaluating international financial integration under leverage constraints," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 427-442, April.
- Carlos Esteban Posada P., 2013. "Los efectos macroeconómicos de la política fiscal y del cambio técnico: predicciones de un modelo de equilibrio general dinámico," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 011459, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicaciones Economía).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.