Approximating the Probability Distribution of Functions of Random Variables: A New Approach
AbstractWe introduce a new approximation method for the distribution of functions of random variables that are real-valued. The approximation involves moment matching and exploits properties of the class of normal inverse Gaussian distributions. In the paper we examine the how well the different approximation methods can capture the tail behavior of a function of random variables relative each other. This is done by simulate a number functions of random variables and then investigate the tail behavior for each method. Further we also focus on the regions of unimodality and positive definiteness of the different approximation methods. We show that the new method provides equal or better approximations than Gram-Charlier and Edgeworth expansions. Nous introduisons une nouvelle méthode pour approximer la distribution de variables aléatoires. L'approximation est basée sur la classe de distribution normale inverse gaussienne. On démontre que la nouvelle approximation est meilleure que les expansions Gram-Charlier et Edgeworth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRANO in its series CIRANO Working Papers with number 2004s-21.
Date of creation: 01 May 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2020 rue University, 25e étage, Montréal, Quéc, H3A 2A5
Phone: (514) 985-4000
Fax: (514) 985-4039
Web page: http://www.cirano.qc.ca/
More information through EDIRC
normal inverse Gaussian; Edgeworth expansions; Gram-Charlier; distribution normale inverse gaussienne; expansions d'Edgeworth; Gram-Charlier;
Other versions of this item:
- Eric Ghysels & Anders Eriksson Lars Forsberg, 2004. "Approximating the probability distribution of functions of random variables: A new approach," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 503, Econometric Society.
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-05-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2004-05-16 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2004-05-16 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mencía, Javier & Sentana, Enrique, 2005.
"Estimation and Testing of Dynamic Models with Generalized Hyperbolic Innovations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Enrique Sentana, 2004. "Estimation and Testing of Dynamic Models with Generalised Hyperbolic Innovations," FMG Discussion Papers dp502, Financial Markets Group.
- Francisco Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2004. "Estimation And Testing Of Dynamic Models With Generalised Hyperbolic Innovations," Working Papers wp2004_0411, CEMFI.
- Lillestøl, Jostein, 2007. "Some new bivariate IG and NIG-distributions for modelling covariate nancial returns," Discussion Papers 2007/1, Department of Finance and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Puzanova, Natalia & Siddiqui, Sikandar & Trede, Mark, 2009. "Approximate value-at-risk calculation for heterogeneous loan portfolios: Possible enhancements of the Basel II methodology," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 374-392, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.