Internationalization versus Regionalisation in the Emerging Stock Markets
AbstractGlobalization has led financial markets to be more and more correlated across countries, especially between advanced and emerging countries. We propose to shed light on the issue of financial integration in emerging countries by resorting to complementary econometric approaches. For that, we draw a parallel between the results from a rolling window OLS regression - evaluating to what extent shocks on regional and developed stock markets are passed through to emerging markets - and the results from a trivariate BEKK-GARCH model assessing the dynamic of integration in emerging markets While regional integration is by and large a central characteristic of most emerging stock markets, the pattern of financial shocks transmission turns out to vary substantially across countries and over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPII research center in its series Working Papers with number 2013-08.
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Time-varying integration; emerging markets; stock markets; multivariate; BEKKGARCH;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-30 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guesmi, Khaled & Nguyen, Duc Khuong, 2011.
"How strong is the global integration of emerging market regions? An empirical assessment,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 2517-2527.
- Khaled Guesmi & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2011. "How strong is the global integration of emerging market regions? An empirical assessment," EconomiX Working Papers 2011-9, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.