Health, health expenditures and equity
AbstractThis paper offers some reasons why it may be interesting to examine the distribution of health, health care, and payments for health care. The reason for a legitimate concern for these distributions is mainly because they relate to a more fundamental concern with the distribution of health itself. It is argued that an equitable distribution must take account of the whole distribution and that it is insufficient to discuss equity in terms of minimum standards. A concept of need based on capacity to benefit from health care is clarified and applied. Horizontal equity is considered in terms of three alternative principles, whose consistency with one another and with efficiency are examined using a diagrammatic technique that enables the simultaneous consideration of carious equity principles and efficiency. It is shown that equality of treatment in the senses of outcome or input are mutually consistent under particular conditions, and also consistent with efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Health Economics, University of York in its series Working Papers with number 083chedp.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Apr 1991
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Clark, Derek, 1995. "Priority setting in health care: An axiomatic bargaining approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 345-360, August.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Doorslaer, Eddy van, 2001. "Paying for health care : quantifying fairness, catastrophe, and impoverishment, with applications to Vietnam, 1993-98," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2715, The World Bank.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1997. "Progressivity, horizontal equity and reranking in health care finance: a decomposition analysis for the Netherlands," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 499-516, October.
- Testi, Angela, 2012. "Rationalizing Waiting Times in Health Care Delivery: An International Comparison - Governare i tempi di attesa in sanità: un confronto internazionale Comparison -," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 65(1), pages 189-201.
- Brian Nolan, 1997. "Mesure de l'équité des modes de financement et de distribution des soins de santé : aspects méthodologiques avec illustration sur l'Irlande," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 129(3), pages 121-130.
- Andrew M Jones, 1995. "A microeconometric analysis of smoking in the UK health and lifestyle survey," Working Papers 139chedp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G & Sundberg, Gun, 1996. "Measuring Income-Related Health Inequalities in Sweden," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 120, Stockholm School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frances Sharp).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.