Determinantes del Precio de Viviendas en Chile
AbstractThis paper econometrically examines the factors determining the real estate price dynamics in Chile in the period 1990-2007. For such purpose, we use annual data of 419 homes located in the Metropolitan Area and acquired in that period. The results indicate that variables such as age and size are statistically significant determinants in the formation of property prices; access to the subway stations tends to capitalize in a non-linear manner; and both household income and aggregate income are statistically and economically significant. The price decomposition reveals that between 69% and 71% of the housing price level is explained by determinants related to attributes of the property, while about 70% of the observed growth in housing prices between 1990 and 2007 is the result of macro-financial determinants. During 2006 and 2007, the trend in prices is not significantly different from that predicted by the model. These results tend to be similar using alternative estimates by housing type and different sample sub-periods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 549.
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher A. Manning, 1988. "The Determinants of Intercity Home Building Site Price Differences," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 64(1), pages 1-14.
- Quiroga, Bernardo F., 2005. "Precios hedónicos para valoración de atributos de viviendas sociales en la Región Metropolitana de Santiago," MPRA Paper 378, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gramlich, Edward M & Rubinfeld, Daniel L, 1982. "Micro Estimates of Public Spending Demand Functions and Tests of the Tiebout and Median-Voter Hypotheses," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(3), pages 536-60, June.
- Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1987. "The economics of the local public sector," Handbook of Public Economics, in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 11, pages 571-645 Elsevier.
- Alan G. Ahearne & John Ammer & Brian M. Doyle & Linda S. Kole & Robert F. Martin, 2005.
"Monetary policy and house prices: a cross-country study,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
841, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Alan G. Ahearne & John Ammer & Brian M. Doyle & Linda S. Kole & Robert F. Martin, 2005. "Monetary Policy and House Prices: A Cross-Country Study," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 344, Central Bank of Chile.
- John Bound & David A. Jaeger & Regina Baker, 1993. "The Cure Can Be Worse than the Disease: A Cautionary Tale Regarding Instrumental Variables," NBER Technical Working Papers 0137, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bover, Olympia & Velilla Lucini, Pilar, 2002.
"Hedonic House Prices Without Characteristics: The Case of New Multiunit Housing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3161, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bover, Olympia & Velilla, Pilar, 2002. "Hedonic house prices without characteristics: the case of new multiunit housing," Working Paper Series 0117, European Central Bank.
- Claudio Borio & Patrick McGuire, 2004. "Twin peaks in equity and housing prices?," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Yinger, John, 1982. "Capitalization and the Theory of Local Public Finance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 917-43, October.
- Guy Debelle, 2004. "Macroeconomic implications of rising household debt," BIS Working Papers 153, Bank for International Settlements.
- Bartik, Timothy J, 1987. "The Estimation of Demand Parameters in Hedonic Price Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(1), pages 81-88, February.
- Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Lisbeth Zacho & Qin Lei, 2001. "Real Estate Market Developments and Financal Sector Soundness," IMF Working Papers 01/129, International Monetary Fund.
- Chumacero, Romulo & Gómez Caorsi, Daniel & Paredes, Ricardo, 2008. "I would walk 500 miles (if it paid)," MPRA Paper 15125, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2008.
- Hernán Enríquez Sierra & Carlos Barreto Nieto & Carolina Correa Caro & Jacobo Campo Robledo, 2012.
"PRECIO DEL SUELO Y REGALÍAS EN COLOMBIA: Un análisis espacial para los municipios productores de petróleo,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO
010252, UNIVERSIDAD CATOLICA DE COLOMBIA.
- Hernán Enríquez Sierra & Carlos Barreto Nieto & Carolina Correa Caro & Jacobo Campo Robledo, 2013. "Precio del suelo y regalías en Colombia: un análisis espacial para los municipios productores de petróleo," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Gastón Chaumont & Miguel Fuentes & Felipe Labbé & Alberto Naudon, 2011.
"A Reassessment of Flexible Price Evidence Using Scanner Data: Evidence from an Emerging Economy,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
641, Central Bank of Chile.
- Gastón Chaumont & Miguel Fuentes & Felipe Labbé & Alberto Naudón, 2011. "A Reassesment of Flexible Price Evidence Using Scanner Data: Evidence from an Emerging Economy," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 632, Central Bank of Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.