Impatience for Weakly Paretian Orders: Existence and Genericity
AbstractWe study order theoretic and topological implications for impatience of weakly Paretian, representable orders on infinite utility streams. As a departure from the traditional literature, we do not make any continuity assumptions in proving the existence of impatient points. Impatience is robust in the sense that there are uncountably many impatient points. A general statement about genericity of impatience cannot be made for representable, weakly Paretian orders. This is shown by means of an example. If we assume a stronger sensitivity condition, then genericity obtains.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Colgate University in its series Working Papers with number 2011-03.
Date of creation: Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Impatience Condition; Weak Pareto; Sensitivity Conditions; Genericity; Order Types; Uncountable Sets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D70 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - General
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Crespo & Carmelo Nuñez & Juan Rincón-Zapatero, 2009.
"On the impossibility of representing infinite utility streams,"
Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 47-56, July.
- Juan A. Crespo & Carmelo Núñez & Juan Pablo Rincón-Zapatero, 2007. "On the impossibility of representing infinite utility streams," Economics Working Papers we075530, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Shane Frederick & George Loewenstein & Ted O'Donoghue, 2002. "Time Discounting and Time Preference: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 351-401, June.
- Jean-Pierre BenoÃ®t & Efe OK, 2005.
2005 Meeting Papers
752, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Svensson, Lars-Gunnar, 1980. "Equity among Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1251-56, July.
- Donald J. Brown & Lucinda M. Lewis, 1978.
"Myopic Economic Agents,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
481, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Banerjee, Kuntal & Mitra, Tapan, 2007. "On the impatience implications of Paretian social welfare functions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 236-248, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chad Sparber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.