Spatial Agglomeration Dynamics
AbstractThis paper develops a model of economic growth and activity locating endogenously on a 3-dimensional featureless global geography. The same economic forces influence simulataneously growth, convergence, and spatial agglomeration and clustering. Economic activity is not concentrated on discrete isolated points but instead a dynamically-fluctuating, smotth spatial distribution. Spatial inequality is a Cass-Koopmans saddlepath, and the global distribution of economic activity converges towards egalitarian growth. Equality is stable but spatial inequality is needed to attain it.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Performance, LSE in its series CEP Discussion Papers with number dp0521.
Date of creation: Mar 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP
cluster; continuous space; convergence; distribution dynamics; growth; knowledge; saddlepath dynamics; spatial spillovers; spatial inequality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D30 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - General
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Nickell & Luca Nunziata & Wolfgang Ochel & Glenda Quintini, 2001. "The Beveridge Curve, Unemployment and Wages in the OECD from the 1960s to the 1990s - Preliminary Version," CEP Discussion Papers dp0502, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Feyrer James D, 2008. "Convergence by Parts," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-35, July.
- Jan Eeckhout & Boyan Jovanovic, 2002. "Knowledge Spillovers and Inequality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1290-1307, December.
- Editors : & David Marsden & Hugh Stephenson, 2001. "Labour Law and Social Insurance in the New Economy: A Debate on the Supiot Report," CEP Discussion Papers dp0500, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Desmet, Klaus & Rossi-Hansberg, Esteban, 2009.
"On spatial dynamics,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/4805, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Klaus Desmet & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2009. "On Spatial dynamics," Working Papers 2009-16, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Desmet, Klaus & Rossi-Hansberg, Esteban, 2010. "On spatial dynamics," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/10147, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Matthias Cinyabuguma & Virginia McConnell, 2009. "Urban Growth Externalities and Neighborhood Incentives: Another Cause of Urban Sprawl?," UMBC Economics Department Working Papers 09-106, UMBC Department of Economics.
- Klaus Desmet & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2009.
2009-18, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales, revised 28 May 2010.
- Klaus Desmet & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2009. "Spatial Development," NBER Working Papers 15349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Desmet, Klaus & Rossi-Hansberg, Esteban, 2009. "Spatial Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 7479, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klaus Desmet & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2010. "Spatial Development," Working Papers 2010.26, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ng, Linda Fung-Yee & Tuan, Chyau, 2006. "Spatial agglomeration, FDI, and regional growth in China: Locality of local and foreign manufacturing investments," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 691-713, October.
- Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2009.
"Modelling Complex Systems,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
53216, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gomes, Orlando, 2006.
"Space, growth and technology: an integrated dynamic approach,"
2846, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Orlando Gomes, 2007. "Space, growth and technology: an integrated dynamic approach," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 24(4), pages 248-265, September.
- Orlando Gomes, 2004. "Space, Growth and Technology: an Integrated Dynamic Approach," Urban/Regional 0409013, EconWPA.
- Keller, Wolfgang & Shiue, Carol H., 2007.
"The origin of spatial interaction,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 304-332, September.
- Anastasios Xepapadeas, . "Diffusion and Spatial Aspects," DEOS Working Papers 1232, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Chincarini, Ludwig & Asherie, Neer, 2008. "An analytical model for the formation of economic clusters," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 252-270, May.
- Mossay, Pascal, 2006. "Stability of spatial adjustments across local exchange economies," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 431-449, July.
- Athanasios Yannacopoulos & Anastasios Xepapadeas & William Brock, . "Spatial Externalities and Agglomeration in a Competitive Industry," DEOS Working Papers 1336, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Orlando Gomes, 2004. "Location Dynamics and Knowledge Agglomeration," Urban/Regional 0409012, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.