Why Has There Been Less Financial Integration In Asia Than In Europe?
AbstractThis paper inquires into the causes of the contrasting experiences between Asia and Europe and asks what they bode for the future. It poses questions like: Is the contrast explicable in terms of the fact that Europe was earlier to begin the process of removing controls on cross-border portfolio capital flows? Is it explicable by the fact that Europe had better developed financial markets at the start of its regional monetary and financial integration project? Is the main difference deeper trade and factor market integration due to Europeâ€™s Single Market project, compared to more partial and tentative moves toward regional trade integration in Asia? Or does the euro make a key difference through the elimination of exchange risk?
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of European Studies, UC Berkeley in its series Institute of European Studies, Working Paper Series with number qt6823v94w.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ies/
comparative; economy; euro; finance; integration; PEIF;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Winkler, Adalbert, 2010.
"The Financial Crisis: A Wake-Up Call for Strengthening Regional Monitoring of Financial Markets and Regional Coordination of Financial Sector Policies?,"
ADBI Working Papers
199, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Adalbert Winkler, 2010. "The Financial Crisis : A Wake-Up Call for Strengthening Regional Monitoring of Financial Markets and Regional Coordination of Financial Sector Policies?," Finance Working Papers 22022, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Adalbert Winkler, 2010. "The Financial Crisis: A Wake-Up Call for Strengthening Regional Monitoring of Financial Markets and Regional Coordination of Financial Sector Policies?," Working Papers id:3021, eSocialSciences.
- Barry Eichengreen & Pipat Luengnaruemitchai, 2006.
"Bond Markets as Conduits for Capital Flows: How Does Asia Compare?,"
NBER Working Papers
12408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Pipat Luengnaruemitchai, 2008. "Bond Markets as Conduits for Capital Flows: How Does Asia Compare?," NBER Chapters, in: International Financial Issues in the Pacific Rim: Global Imbalances, Financial Liberalization, and Exchange Rate Policy (NBER-EASE Volume 17), pages 267-313 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aerdt Houben & Iskander Schrijvers & Tim Willems, 2008. "The Supervision of Banks in Europe: The Case for a Tailor-made Set-up," DNB Occasional Studies 604, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Hiroshi Fujiki & Akiko Terada-Hagiwara, 2007.
"Financial integration in East Asia,"
Working Paper Series
2007-30, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- L. Alan Winters & Shahid Yusuf, 2007. "Dancing with the Giants: China, India, and the Global Economy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6632.
- Lane, Philip R. & Schmukler, Sergio, 2006.
"The International Financial Integration of China and India,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5852, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2006. "The international financial integration of China and India," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jun.
- Lane, Philip R. & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2007. "The international financial integration of China and India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4132, The World Bank.
- Daniel Leigh & Abdul Abiad & Ashoka Mody, 2007. "International Finance and Income Convergence," IMF Working Papers 07/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan & Reza Y. Siregar & Tony Cavoli, 2006. "Financial Integration in East Asia: How Far? How Much Further to Go?," Working Papers id:372, eSocialSciences.
- Cavoli, Tony, 2012. "Exploring dimensions of regional economic integration in East Asia: More than the sum of its parts?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 643-653.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.