Estimating the size distribution of firms using government summary statistics
AbstractUsing a maximum entropy technique, we estimate the market shares of each firm in an industry using the available government summary statistics such as the four-firm concentration ratio (C4) and the Herfindahl-Hirschmann Index (HHI). We show that our technique is very effective in estimating the distribution of market shares in 20 industries. Our results provide support for the recent practice of using HHI rather than C4 as the key explanatory variable in many market power studies, if only one measure is to be used.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley in its series Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series with number qt14b416tk.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 207 Giannini Hall #3310, Berkeley, CA 94720-3310
Phone: (510) 642-3345
Fax: (510) 643-8911
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/are_ucb/
More information through EDIRC
business; entropy; industry size; marketing; probabilities; statistics;
Other versions of this item:
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1996. "Estimating the Size Distribution of Firms Using Government Summary Statistics," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 69-80, March.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacquemin, Alexis P & Berry, Charles H, 1979. "Entropy Measure of Diversification and Corporate Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 359-69, June.
- Zellner, A., 1988. "Optimal Information-Processing And Bayes' Theorem," Papers m8803, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Kwoka, John E, Jr, 1979. "The Effect of Market Share Distribution on Industry Performance," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(1), pages 101-09, February.
- Carmen Liron-Espana & Rigoberto A. Lopez, 2001.
"When is Concentration Beneficial?,"
Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports
062, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Joshua Drucker, 2009. "Trends in Regional Industrial Concentration in the United States," Working Papers 09-06, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Msangi, Siwa & Howitt, Richard E., 2006. "Estimating Disaggregate Production Functions: An Application to Northern Mexico," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21080, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Howitt, Richard E. & Msangi, Siwa, 2002. "Reconstructing Disaggregate Production Functions," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19585, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Wu, Ximing & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Golan, Amos, 2002.
"Effects of government policies on income distribution and welfare,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
950, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Wu, Ximing & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Golan, Amos, 2002. "Effects of Government Policies on Income Distribution and Welfare," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt74r4h1fc, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Wu, Ximing & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Golan, Amos, 2002. "Effects of Government Policies on Income Distribution and Welfare," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt6jx7h62v, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Azzam, Azzeddine M. & Liron-Espana, Carmen, 2001.
"Market Power and/or Efficiency: An Application to U.S. Food Processing,"
25160, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Rigoberto A. Lopez & Azzeddine M. Azzam & Carmen Liron-Espana, 2001. "Market Power and/or Efficiency: An Application to U.S. Food Processing," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 060, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Drucker, Joshua & Feser, Edward, 2012. "Regional industrial structure and agglomeration economies: An analysis of productivity in three manufacturing industries," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 1-14.
- Miljkovic, Dragan & Jin, Hyun Joung & Paul, Rodney, 2007.
"The Role of Productivity Growth and Farmers' Income Protection Policies in the Decline of Relative Farm Prices in the United States,"
Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report
9368, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Miljkovic, Dragan & Jin, Hyun J. & Paul, Rodney, 2008. "The role of productivity growth and farmers' income protection policies in the decline of relative farm prices in the United States," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 873-885.
- Wu, Ximing & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 2005. "GMM Estimation of a Maximum Distribution With Interval Data," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt7jf5w1ht, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- LaFrance, J. T. & Beatty, T. K. M. & Pope, R. D. & Agnew, G. K., 2002. "Information theoretic measures of the income distribution in food demand," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 235-257, March.
- Bhuyan, Sanjib & Lopez, Rigoberto A., 1998. "What Determines Welfare Losses From Oligopoly Power In The Food And Tobacco Industries?," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 27(2), October.
- Rigoberto Lopez & Azzeddine Azzam & Carmen Lirón-España, 2002. "Market Power and/or Efficiency: A Structural Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 115-126, March.
- Huettel, Silke & Jongeneel, Roelof A., 2009. "Impact of the EU Milk Quota on Structural Change in the Dairy Sectors of Germany and The Netherlands," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50943, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sunila George & Raghbendra Jha & Hari K. Nagarajan, 2002. "The Evolution and Structure of the Two-wheeler Industry in India," ASARC Working Papers 2002-02, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Steven C. Michael, 2009. "Entrepreneurial signaling to attract resources: the case of franchising," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(6), pages 405-422.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.