Conditional Convergence Revisited: Taking Solow Very Seriously
AbstractOutput per worker can be expressed as a function of technological efficiency and of the capital-output ratio. Because technology is exogenous in the Solow model, all of the endogenous convergence dynamics take place through the adjustment of the capital-output ratio. This paper uses the empirical behaviour of the capital-output ratio to estimate the speed of conditional convergence of economies towards their steady-state paths. We find that the conditional convergence speed is about seven percent per year. This is somewhat faster than predicted by the Solow model and is significantly higher than reported in most previous studies based on output per worker regressions. We show that, once there are stochastic shocks to technology, standard panel econometric techniques produce downward-biased estimates of convergence speeds, while our approach does not.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Ireland in its series Research Technical Papers with number 7/RT/06.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kieran McQuinn & Karl Whelan, 2008.
"Prospects for Growth in the Euro Area,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 54(4), pages 642-680, December.
- McQuinn, Kieran & Whelan, Karl, 2007.
"Solow (1956) as a Model of Cross-Country Growth Dynamics,"
5892, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McQuinn, Kieran & Whelan, Karl, 2007. "Solow (1956) as a Model of Cross-Country Growth Dynamics," Research Technical Papers 1/RT/07, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Socol Cristian & Socol Aura Gabriela & Marinas Marius-Corneliu, 2008. "The Analysis Of Equity-Efficiency Trade-Off In The European Union Economy," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 2(1), pages 442-448, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Smith).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.