Financial Capability:New Evidence for Ireland
AbstractRecent increases in financial innovation, particularly in the Anglo-Saxon banking culture, have seen a considerable growth in the amount of financial products available to the general public. Simultaneously, many workers are increasingly assuming responsibility for planning for their future pensions. This allied to increased life expectancy necessitates a greater degree of financial capability amongst the general public. This study has empirically examined this issue for the first time in an Irish context. As such, this report follows a nascent literature internationally. The related issue of financial literacy has been studied for several years in the US while a major study of financial capability was completed in the UK in 2006. This report follows that UK study closely. This is the first major evidence on financial capability inIreland, conducted with a purpose-designed, in-depth, representative survey of just over 1,500 people.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Ireland in its series Research Technical Papers with number 1/RT/09.
Length: 152 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2009
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D14 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Saving; Personal Finance
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- G0 - Financial Economics - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-05 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kelly, Robert & McCarthy, Yvonne & McQuinn, Kieran, 2012.
"Impairment and negative equity in the Irish mortgage market,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 256-268.
- Kelly, Robert & McCarthy, Yvonne & McQuinn, Kieran, 2011. "Impairment and Negative Equity in the Irish Mortgage Market," Research Technical Papers 9/RT/11, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Esteban Gómez González & Nancy Zamudio Gómez, 2012. "Las capacidades financieras de la población colombiana," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009828, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Doyle, Nicola, 2009. "Housing Finance Developments in Ireland," Quarterly Bulletin Articles, Central Bank of Ireland, pages 75-88, October.
- Estaban Gómez González & Nancy Zamudio Gómez, 2012. "Las capacidades financieras de la población colombiana," Borradores de Economia 725, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Smith).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.