Taxes in the EU New Member States and the Location of Capital and Profit
AbstractThis paper investigates taxes on corporate profit levied in the new member states of the European Union. Part A provides some background for analysing the current position of corporate taxes in the EU, paying particular attention to the position of the new member states. It has three sections. The first summarises the influences that taxes on profit can have on economic decisions. The second analyses the development of corporation taxes in the EU over the last ten years, making a comparison between the 15 countries who were members prior to 2005, and the 10 new member states joining in 2004. The third section speculates on future developments, summarising evidence on whether there has been significant tax competition, and if so, where it is likely to lead. Part B draws out some policy implications in the light of this evidence and in the light of recent proposals from the European Commission for a common consolidated tax base in the EU.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation in its series Working Papers with number 0703.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Park End Street, Oxford OX1 1HP UK
Phone: +44 (0)1865 288800
Fax: +44 (0)1865 288805
Web page: http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/ideas-impact/tax/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2007-10-20 (European Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2007-10-20 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ruud de Mooij & S. Ederveen, 2001.
"Taxation and foreign direct investment; a synthesis of empirical research,"
CPB Discussion Paper
3, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- de Mooij, Ruud A & Ederveen, Sjef, 2003. "Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment: A Synthesis of Empirical Research," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 10(6), pages 673-93, November.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2001. "Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment: A Synthesis of Empirical Research," CESifo Working Paper Series 588, CESifo Group Munich.
- Devereux, Michael P & Lockwood, Ben & Redoano, Michela, 2002.
"Do Countries Compete over Corporate Tax Rates?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3400, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Devereux, Michael P & Lockwood, Ben & Redoano, Michela, 2002. "Do Countries Compete Over Corporate Tax Rates?," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 642, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Seppo Kari & Ylä-Liedenpohja & Jouko, 2005.
"Cost of Capital for Cross-border Investment: The Fallacy of Estonia as a Tax Haven,"
367, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Seppo Kari & Jouko Ylä-Liedenpohja, 2004. "Cost of Capital for Cross-Border Investment: The Fallacy of Estonia as a Tax Haven," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 5(1), pages 28-43, December.
- Jack M. Mintz & Michael Smart, 2001.
"Income Shifting, Investment, and Tax Competition: Theory and Evidence from Provincial Taxation in Canada,"
International Tax Program Papers
0402, International Tax Program, Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, revised Apr 2003.
- Mintz, Jack & Smart, Michael, 2004. "Income shifting, investment, and tax competition: theory and evidence from provincial taxation in Canada," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 1149-1168, June.
- Jack Mintz & Michael Smart, 2001. "Income Shifting, Investment, and Tax Competition: Theory and Evidence from Provincial Taxation in Canada," CESifo Working Paper Series 554, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hines, J.R.J. & Hubbard, R.G., 1989.
"Coming Home To America - Devidend Repatriations By U.S. Multinationals,"
146, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- James R. Hines, Jr. & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1990. "Coming Home To America: Dividend Repatriations By U.S. Multinationals," NBER Chapters, in: Taxation in the Global Economy, pages 161-208 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James R. Hines, Jr. & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1990. "Coming Home to America: Dividend Repatriations by U.S. Multinationals," NBER Working Papers 2931, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosanne Altshuler & Timothy J. Goodspeed, 2002. "Follow the Leader? Evidence on European and U.S. Tax Competition," Departmental Working Papers 200226, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Bartelsman, Eric J & Beetsma, Roel, 2000.
"Why Pay More? Corporate Tax Avoidance Through Transfer Pricing in OECD Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2543, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bartelsman, Eric J. & Beetsma, Roel M. W. J., 2003. "Why pay more? Corporate tax avoidance through transfer pricing in OECD countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(9-10), pages 2225-2252, September.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Roel Beetsma, 2000. "Why Pay More? Corporate Tax Avoidance through Transfer Pricing in OECD Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 324, CESifo Group Munich.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Roel Beetsma, 2000. "Why pay more? Corporate Tax Avoidance through Transfer Pricing in OECD Countries," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-054/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Michael Devereux & Alexander Klemm, 2003.
"Measuring taxes on income from capital: evidence from the UK,"
IFS Working Papers
W03/03, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Michael P. Devereux & Alexander Klemm, 2003. "Measuring Taxes on Income from Capital: Evidence from the UK," CESifo Working Paper Series 968, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michael Keen & John King, 2002. "The Croatian profit tax: an ACE in practice," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 23(3), pages 401-418, September.
- Kai Carstensen & Farid Toubal, 2003.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries: A Dynamic Panel Analysis,"
Kiel Working Papers
1143, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: a dynamic panel analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-22, March.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: A dynamic panel analysis," Munich Reprints in Economics 19965, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Slemrod, Joel, 2004. "Are corporate tax rates, or countries, converging?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 1169-1186, June.
- Garrett, Geoffrey, 1995. "Capital mobility, trade, and the domestic politics of economic policy," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 49(04), pages 657-687, September.
- Bretschger, Lucas & Hettich, Frank, 2000.
"Globalisation, capital mobility and tax competition: Theory and evidence for OECD countries,"
07/2000, Ernst Moritz Arndt University of Greifswald, Faculty of Law and Economics.
- Bretschger, Lucas & Hettich, Frank, 2002. "Globalisation, capital mobility and tax competition: theory and evidence for OECD countries," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 695-716, November.
- Michael P. Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Alexander Klemm, 2002. "Corporate income tax reforms and international tax competition," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 449-495, October.
- Grubert, Harry & Mutti, John, 1991. "Taxes, Tariffs and Transfer Pricing in Multinational Corporate Decision Making," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 285-93, May.
- Hines, James R. Jr., 1999. "Lessons from Behavioral Responses to International Taxation," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 2), pages 305-22, June.
- Hannes Winner, 2005. "Has Tax Competition Emerged in OECD Countries? Evidence from Panel Data," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 12(5), pages 667-687, September.
- Sorensen, Peter Birch, 2004. "International tax coordination: regionalism versus globalism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 1187-1214, June.
- Marcin Piatkowski & Mariusz Jarmuzek, 2008. "Zero Corporate Income Tax in Moldova," IMF Working Papers 08/203, International Monetary Fund.
- Heinemann, Friedrich & Overesch, Michael & Rincke, Johannes, 2008.
"Rate Cutting Tax Reforms and Corporate Tax Competition in Europe,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
08-028, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Friedrich Heinemann & Michael Overesch & Johannes Rincke, 2010. "Rate-Cutting Tax Reforms And Corporate Tax Competition In Europe," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 498-518, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Li Liu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.